Discuss No more ply with ditra in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

tweakyboy

Hi,

Planning to tile my bathroom in the next few weeks, the floor structure is chip board on the new extension size and floor boards on the old part of the bathroom. The floor is solid and I'm planning to put 6mm no more ply glued/screwed down.

Do I really need to put Ditra mat down? Part of me is just saying do it but us I don't really know if it is needed.

Tiles going down will be 600x400x12mm honed and filled travertine.

Thanks in advance.

Dan. :smilewinkgrin:

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,

Planning to tile my bathroom in the next few weeks, the floor structure is chip board on the new extension size and floor boards on the old part of the bathroom. The floor is solid and I'm planning to put 6mm no more ply glued/screwed down.

Do I really need to put Ditra mat down? Part of me is just saying do it but us I don't really know if it is needed.

Tiles going down will be 600x400x12mm honed and filled travertine.

Thanks in advance.

Dan. :smilewinkgrin:

Hi tweakyboy,if I was doing the job,and I was putting cement board down on a solid timber floor! I wouldn't use ditra no need.. IMHO :)

T

Time's Ran Out

6mm on 2 types of timber will not add any stability and with a softer stone like travertine the membrane could provide the uncoupling that you will definitely require.

T

tweakyboy

6mm on 2 types of timber will not add any stability and with a softer stone like travertine the membrane could provide the uncoupling that you will definitely require.

Just to clarify before I order 6mm no more ply, are you saying that 6mm stuff glued/screwed down isn't sufficient enough? The manufacturer states that 6mm is sufficient and is the equivalent of 18mm ply wood.

Thanks

Dan

P

prceramics

yeah they told me that too and said if i use washers with the screws to fix hardi backer board down it will make it weaker than screws alone :lol:

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just to clarify before I order 6mm no more ply, are you saying that 6mm stuff glued/screwed down isn't sufficient enough? The manufacturer states that 6mm is sufficient and is the equivalent of 18mm ply wood.

Thanks

Dan
Hi tweakyboy
As I said, you don't need ditra!as long as the subfloor is solid!cement boards are fine....
I wouldn't say it's equivalent to 18mmply though!!.....

T

tweakyboy

I wouldn't say it was as strong as 18mm ply either but for something 6mm thick its pretty strong, I picked up a sample piece at tile flair the other day and I tried snapping it. It took some force to get it right in half.

The sub floor is chipboard and floor boards sat on 8x2 timbers so as far as that goes its solid. Can't notice any flex in the flooring, what would you recommend a part flex or full flex adhesive?

Thanks again

Reply to No more ply with ditra in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley