Search the forum,

Discuss No more ply and joints in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

Went to look at a tiling issue yesterday on my day off!
Tiler (joiner/plumber/etc) did full refit - estimate was a guide final price almost double!!
Estimate of contract was 4weeks actual was 12!!
Anyway in February this tiling issue contacted me to look at a tile that was cracked/faulted and I advised he got the joiner etc back to look/repair as job only done at Xmas. Tradesperson returned and charged to repair tile!
Then yesterday on my day off as I said he contacted me again . Went to have a look and spent 1 hour discussing this job. Small cuts to corners and ceiling, darker coloured grout, poor cuts set up to wet area floor... not a tiler .
But it looks to me as though the no more ply which was fixed to all the walls has cracked on the join between 2 boards on a window wall.
The crack along 3 tiles of 600 mm each length is exactly 800mm up from the floor (the boards were long but 800 x 12mm )
Tiles are to come off and be repaired but now they will wait for Tile Giant to send someone out to look at it.
From the information I've read it seems as though No more ply do not recommend taping the joins but just using their adhesive to stick the boards together !!
My remark to issue householder is - every water resistant or cement board I have used you have to tape all joins.
Having never used NMP is this standard practice ?
I've advised issue householder to await reps call and get his tradesman back at no cost to repair said work.

T

Time's Ran Out

8EF174F8-ADEC-4625-8A54-57489C495F9E.jpeg DAD5CD6F-6688-4E48-9A32-3BE15104CF49.jpeg BB846E65-B919-48FE-8D24-4E622D0BC845.jpeg CB97C51C-EA39-4CC0-83A3-72BFAF141D22.jpeg
These are the cracks at 800mm high and small cuts everywhere.

D

Dumbo

When I used NMP I followed instructions by putting a bead of their tubed adhesive in every 2mm joint between boards. Once it had set I then ran a stanley blade across to remove any excess. The adhesive is like an expanding foam, although not on that scale and is actually very strong.
Sounds like pu glue

F

Flintstone

6mm hardie And no more ply is very popular for floors and it’s very much aimed for that purpose imo, it does do the job well, it can add rigidity to a floor, and create a more solid feel
Under foot too. But it’s not all rosey, it’s a pig to cut, a pig to carry and it is bad for your health, it’s water resistant, not water proof. Wedi board on the other hand is a joy to cut and fit, it’s super light weight, it’s water proof, what’s not to like? Over a sturdy good timber floor it’s fine to use.

D

Dumbo

6mm hardie And no more ply is very popular for floors and it’s very much aimed for that purpose imo, it does do the job well, it can add rigidity to a floor, and create a more solid feel
Under foot too. But it’s not all rosey, it’s a pig to cut, a pig to carry and it is bad for your health, it’s water resistant, not water proof. Wedi board on the other hand is a joy to cut and fit, it’s super light weight, it’s water proof, what’s not to like? Over a sturdy good timber floor it’s fine to use.
Are you then suggesting hardi is better on a less stable floor and you could use it in a situation you couldn't use wedi .

B

Blunt Tool

Are you then suggesting hardi is better on a less stable floor and you could use it in a situation you couldn't use wedi .
Lay off poor little 6mm no more ply you big bully! :p Never used the stuff but I have used Hardie backer boards on floors in domestic dry areas and have never had any problems so what is your point?

D

Dumbo

Lay off poor little 6mm no more ply you big bully! :p Never used the stuff but I have used Hardie backer boards on floors in domestic dry areas and have never had any problems so what is your point?
I'm not making a point and I'm not talking specifically about nmp I'm asking about cement board in general as from what I've read there seems to be a definite preference to use this over say Wedi board on timber floors and I'm wondering why .

D

Dumbo

What do you like to use @jcrtiling ?

I’ve never used hardie
If it is stable enough jackoboard at the moment as that is what my supplier is buying in . I could go to topps ( that only going to happen in a parallel universe ) and buy Hardi backer but as I mentioned in another post a while back I said I was really weedy and it is very heavy

Reply to No more ply and joints in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays