Search the forum,

Discuss Need to lift a tile in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

WetSaw

Have you fitted the tile over the other pipe? Are the pipes now not level with each other? I'd be putting shrouds around the pipes anyway! You've also got a bit of leeway with the fittings, screw one in a little more than the other to get the towel rad level.

D

DaveM

Cheers for that, so failing the padsaw, is lifting the tile not an option then? I don't mind recutting, there's been bigger ball aches than this this week haha :)

W

WetSaw

Lifting as in removing or pushing up? If you didn't move it when you fitted it it's not going to move now!!

If you've not grouted then just gently thrash it out and replace it.

D

DaveM

Have you fitted the tile over the other pipe? Are the pipes now not level with each other? I'd be putting shrouds around the pipes anyway! You've also got a bit of leeway with the fittings, screw one in a little more than the other to get the towel rad level.

The pipe in the photo is about 6mm lower than the one on the left, the holes are in different tiles, the holes are pretty much level, but the pipe on the right has pulled down slightly, but they were level to start with, I must have caught it when I was pushing the tile on.

D

DaveM

Lifting as in removing or pushing up? If you didn't move it when you fitted it it's not going to move now!!

If you've not grouted then just gently thrash it out and replace it.
Sorry, by lifting I meant removing without damaging.

That's what I was asking, how to get it out without damaging the others :)

W

WetSaw

What sort of height is the pipe? Is it in your eye line at all, sitting on the loo etc? Unless it's going to be an absolute eyesore I'd be tempted to leave it, you may end up causing yourself far more work.

D

DaveM

What sort of height is the pipe? Is it in your eye line at all, sitting on the loo etc? Unless it's going to be an absolute eyesore I'd be tempted to leave it, you may end up causing yourself far more work.

It's about 95cm from the floor, above the end of the bath at the opposite end from the shower and taps. I got them level and clipped them up, but somehow I've caught it. it will mean the towel radiator isn't sat straight, unless I can get some kind of threaded adjuster for the valves.

W

WetSaw

You've got threaded inserts where the valves go into the rad. You'll easily lose a few mm on each without it noticing ( you'll only see it because you know it's there..). What will possibly show more is the pipe being off centre to the hole, shrouds solve that and as you haven't used chrome pipe, chrome pipe covers could tidy it all up. If the pipe is the one nearer the inside corner of the bath, a casual observer will never see it if you leave it like it is anyway and just silicone around it.

D

DaveM

You've got threaded inserts where the valves go into the rad. You'll easily lose a few mm on each without it noticing ( you'll only see it because you know it's there..). What will possibly show more is the pipe being off centre to the hole, shrouds solve that and as you haven't used chrome pipe, chrome pipe covers could tidy it all up. If the pipe is the one nearer the inside corner of the bath, a casual observer will never see it if you leave it like it is anyway and just silicone around it.

Yes, I think you are right, I'll get it set up and see. Thanks again :)

D

DaveM

Ended up taking the tile off, chipping the adhesive off and that enabled me to got the pipes level again and recut a new tile. All sorted, thanks for the help :)

Reply to Need to lift a tile in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen