Search the forum,

Discuss Need Help Levelling For A Tray In A Wetroom in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

ageless

I took on my own large bathroom upstairs in my new build. Its 2,5x3.5m room and have tiled all walls and floor and ready to tile my wet room tray but I'm out in 1 corner about 12mm. If this was anywhere else in the room I could fill out with tile adhesive and it would never be seen but this wet room adhesive is a bit tacky and I'm afraid I'll make a balls of the mosaic tiles because of the thick adhesive.

Ripping it all out and re-levelung tge teay isn't an option because of costs and time. I'm wondering how thick I can use this wet room adhesive before I run into problems. I'm now going to use larger tiles which will help me out of this bad situation I'm in.

Has anyone else can any recommendations that could help as I'm badly in need of it

A

ageless

Tganks for the swift replies folks. With abit of luck, you will help get me out of this mess
IMG_20150522_212528.jpg

Bottom left corner is off level. Room is already tiled apart from wet area but no pic yet, sorry.

I need the wet tray tiles to meet the level if tiles already on floor. If I build this corner up with the tacky wet tray adhesive, the mosaics won't sit right so I'm going to get larger tiles and cut the slopes. What really worries me is the tray adhesive, its like a tacky sealent silicone type adgesive when used and I'm worried if I use this to build up under tile, it will mess things up. Is it possible to use flexi adhesive on a tray or am I in rubbish creek!

A

ageless

Double tile it?

I'm struggling to picture the situation. But I get that you need to pack out the tiling.

With most adhesive you can tile over tile, so in theory you can tile a layer using off-cuts, then tile over that again with the actual finish...... I think?

So your saying I can fill small gaps with some small cut tiles and make sure its all covered in adhesive. This adhesive is like a rubber mastic when setting going by the small amount of it I have mixed up beside me.

Can one use cement based flexi adhesive on top of wet trays

A

ageless

I'd use an S1 rapid adhesive to build up where it's 12mm lower, but (not teaching you to suck eggs) make sure it's flat and no bulges and dips because your'll struggle to get the mosaic built up with to much wet addy.

Thank you for your reply. I'm not using mosaic no more, going to buy large tiles or use same 300x300 tiles already down on floor because it'll be less messing about. Tried some mosaic earlier but to much messing for someone like me. If tray was completely level I'd have no problems but like this, I'll make a mess so decided to use large tiles instead.

When you s1 rapid adhesive and can it be laid on a wet tray without causing problems

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I don't know what thread I was reading but in my head it was totally different to that! Makes sense now.

I'd double tile it if you're not going with mosaics. Wont do any harm. Double tile to where you need to, then feather adhesive from the first layer of tile to the trap. Then wait for that to cure/dry, then tile it properly all level.

W

White Room

Thank you for your reply. I'm not using mosaic no more, going to buy large tiles or use same 300x300 tiles already down on floor because it'll be less messing about. Tried some mosaic earlier but to much messing for someone like me. If tray was completely level I'd have no problems but like this, I'll make a mess so decided to use large tiles instead.

When you s1 rapid adhesive and can it be laid on a wet tray without causing problems

It can be laid onto dry tanking in a wet room tray.

A

ageless

I don't know what thread I was reading but in my head it was totally different to that! Makes sense now.

I'd double tile it if you're not going with mosaics. Wont do any harm. Double tile to where you need to, then feather adhesive from the first layer of tile to the trap. Then wait for that to cure/dry, then tile it properly all level.

What I have in mmindwill take me over the drain if I use tiles underneath.

A

ageless

It can be laid onto dry tanking in a wet room tray.

This tray is sealed in megaseal tanking but now has some mega adhesive on it now due to trying earlier. Couldn't get the Addy of because it was so tacky. can this s1rapid set be used on top of wet tray adhesive. I'm liking the sound of being able to use rapid set adhesive on tanking because its easier to play with and to clean of tools as well. I had to use acetone earlier to clean my tools with that horrible stuff.

W

White Room

This tray is sealed in megaseal tanking but now has some mega adhesive on it now due to trying earlier. Couldn't get the Addy of because it was so tacky. can this s1rapid set be used on top of wet tray adhesive. I'm liking the sound of being able to use rapid set adhesive on tanking because its easier to play with and to clean of tools as well. I had to use acetone earlier to clean my tools with that horrible stuff.

I would not fix to wet tanking as you may break the seal and could end up in a awful mess.

Reply to Need Help Levelling For A Tray In A Wetroom in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement