Discuss My first wet room... Help please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

BOFH

Hi guys, we have a wet room to do and it's not something I've done before so I could use a few pointers. The room itself is a triangle of sorts and the shower will be sited at the pointy end :thumbsup:

The room is upstairs in an old property over 7x2 joists. I intend to nog out the joists then ply line the floor and walls, then use some type of tanking material to line over the ply before tiling.

If this is a suitable way to go then I'd like some advice on what type of material to use for tanking and the adhesive I should be using with said material. I'm not sure at the moment regarding the type of tile the client has chosen, but the size will be 600x600.

Any tips and advice folks?

B

BOFH

I'm not too sure they would make one in the shape I'll need David, it's damn awkward. Triangular of sorts. If there are any flexible formers that can be shaped to fit it would certainly help.

The client was mumbling about having someone hand bash out a Copper tray this morning..... I'm ignoring that for the moment and trying to work out the best possible "normal" way to approach it.

D

DHTiling

You can cut quite a few formers to size or shape and some within inches of the drain... if you don't get the flow rate right on a self made former then you can flood out the room.

have you done many wetrooms..? what have you used in the past.?

B

BOFH

This will be my first wet room David, so all advice is welcome. I was going to allow a 1 in 8 drop over the whole room, it's 6'x8' to the furthest point. Although to be fair this house is so wonky I'd probably not have to bother adding the drop :) But I will be obviously.

Can you point me in the right direction of these shape-able formers please. I was looking at some kind on material to line it out but a former would be better I'm sure. I also have issues with the trap and being able to access it should there be a problem, there will be no access to the underside of the floor when finished. I was intending to run outside and mount a trap there in an insulated box.

M

Martino

Also have a look at schluter systems have heard great reports about them....also never done a wetroom but i will be in the future im my home :)

Reply to My first wet room... Help please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley