Search the forum,

Discuss Most suitable products to use.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BJD

Hi All,

I have a walk in shower which is tiled with natural slate - within the shower the drain has a cut out thin section (which lifts out for cleaning purposes) and this also contains the matching slate with the floor.

Basically, the thin cut out slate has loosened and now lifts out - I have attached a top down view of the drain along with a close up of the underneath of the thin tiles. I would greatly appreciate some advice on the items below if possible:

(1) I need to get the mastic or adhesive (don't know what it is) off the back of the thin tiles - what would be the best way to do this?
(2) What would be the best product to use to re-fix these thin tiles?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Cheers, Brad

B

BJD

Apologies - now attached.....

View of drain as of today.jpg Underneath thin tiles.jpg

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I'll be completely honest. I have never done a channel drain like this, and have never fixed tiles to metal.

I can't recommend an adhesive or primer either. BUT....I recommend this stuff in another post, it's a must have IMO. It would definately stick these together.

CT1 Sealant, Adhesive, Bonding, Glue, Silicone

I'd fix the slate like you would if you were using adhesive. I.E create a good and consistant bed of the CT1. I presume these will be grouted in. If the grout fails at all you don't want water swimming under the slate. So i wouldn't fix them with a dot and dab method.

If anyone can suggest an alternative using more "tiling" methods i'd be keen to know the answer. I'm stuck on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BJD

Hi All,

Could anyone kindly pose any other alternative solutions?

Many thanks, Brad

T

tfs

Hi

You can scrape that sealant off and refix the tiles using Keraquick as this will fix to metal.

T

tfs

I meant to add the keraquick should be used with Latex plus. You could check with mapei to be sure.

If you were happy to use a sealant type adhesive then CT1 is as good as it gets.

S

Stef

Hi, you could try Bal single part fastflex, its an Elastomeric adhesive thats suitable for steel.

Reply to Most suitable products to use.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen