Search the forum,

Discuss Moisture marks on newly laid limestone tiles - help!!please!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Joymir

:mad2:My tiler has now completed two bathroom walls - one yesterday and one today. Most of the tiles are showing 'mosture marks' coming through from the dollops of adhesive used. These are not showing any signs of drying and not sure whether this is an oily residue rather than water. He said he spread the adhesive over the back first to seal them though. He used Ardex X77W microtec flexible adhesive in white. Reading the information now, this is clearly not for high porosity tiles. I have tried to clean the surface with LTP Grimex heavy duty grime remover but this doesn't change anything. The tiler and plumber have gone away saying we would wait to see if the tiles dry before continuing. So..
Are the marks likely to go?
If not, will the tiles have to come off?
If they come off in one piece, could they be cleaned to reuse?
Is there any way to get them off without breaking them?

W

White Room

:mad2:My tiler has now completed two bathroom walls - one yesterday and one today. Most of the tiles are showing 'mosture marks' coming through from the dollops of adhesive used. These are not showing any signs of drying and not sure whether this is an oily residue rather than water. He said he spread the adhesive over the back first to seal them though. He used Ardex X77W microtec flexible adhesive in white. Reading the information now, this is clearly not for high porosity tiles. I have tried to clean the surface with LTP Grimex heavy duty grime remover but this doesn't change anything. The tiler and plumber have gone away saying we would wait to see if the tiles dry before continuing. So..

Hi and welcome..

Just to clear something up, was dabs of adhesive applied to the tiles or was it spread on the wall ???

J

Joymir

Hi! The dabs of adhesive were on the tiles and then he pressed the tiles on the wall which I guess spreads it out.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
not good, the adhesive should of been spread all over the wall, what your seeing is the dabs of adhesive showing through the tile.

S

Stewart

Dot n dab in not the correct fixing method and your Tiler should be stopped instantly from carrying on. The limestone should be back-skimmed and then pressed into the adhesive that has been combed onto the wall with a suitable sized notched trowel.

J

Joymir

That's good to know and if he comes back, I can tell him this but for the existing walls

W

White Room

It may take a while for the moisture to disappear but the fixing method is'nt correct...what are the tiles being fixed to plaster walls etc

J

Joymir

Hi
The walls are a mix of artex/ plaster board and a moisture proof board round the shower area.

W

White Room

What is the thickness of your limestone tiles..

Sorry for all the questions, need to get this right.

Reply to Moisture marks on newly laid limestone tiles - help!!please!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen