Search the forum,

Discuss Mirror and foam adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi All,

I stumbled across this forum and wondered if someone could recommend an adhesive.

I am trying to attach a mirror to a surfboard! The surfboard has a fibreglass shell injected with high buoyancy foam. I have routed out the area and have the mirror fitting flush but every mirror adhesive I've looked at says not to be used on porous surfaces (which the foam is very much so).

I took a gamble and tried one of the no more nails type products, this worked fine in principle but when stress testing it, the mirror started to peel away when left upside down for a number of days.

Just to clarify the surfboard isn't going back in the water, its going be a free standing mirror.

If anyone could point me in the right direction of how to attach these materials I'd be very grateful.

Cheers
Jez

T

Time's Ran Out

As its not something I've tried before - my advice would have to be tested without any proportioned blame being given back in my direction!
With the recessed porous foam I would smear with a thin layer of rubber silicone to cover the entire area and allow to dry. I would then apply a copious amount of silicone to the mirror and offer it to the recess and fix using slight pressure. I would ensure that hands are kept clean and no/little silicone is allowed to settle on the face of the glass.
I would of course check with a glazing manufacturer the type of silicone suitable for the back of a mirror as some may affect the silvering and show through to the front!
Nice themed idea!
Hope you can post a photo - only if it works of course - would hate to see a pile of glass on the floor!

U

user123

Do you have to glue it? My first thought was to use "Sticks like Sh*t", wonderful stuff usually, you can google for specs re mirror and foam, but could you not use miror clips or rubber edging over mirror and fibreglass? Quite easy to make yourself by cutting into rubber from both sides with a sharp stanley blade. If you routed the board out the mirror may just need holding in place....?

B

brinkley

everbuild do mirror adhesive in a tube called mirrormate and the curing doesnt affect the silvering stuck my bathroom mirror on with it a few weeks ago

Reply to Mirror and foam adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen