Discuss metal door frame , help!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bearwithme

made the fatal mistake of assuming something! my wifes grandparents struggle to get in the bath. so decided to buy them a walk in bath from ebay. went to fit it yeaterday to discover the door is only 585mm wide!! assumed it would be at least 2'6". so thought " right i'll take the door frame out and replace it after". first whack of the frame and realised its metal!! whole frame is like a folded channel incorporating architrave. didn't want to keep bashing away without first asking some advice. cant find any fixing points at this stage so i'm assuming its tied into the brickwork somehow. all the frames in the house are the same. might sound ridiculous but wanted to make sure their not incporporated as some sort of support for internal walls. anyone come across this type before??? any advice ?? thanks David.:oops:

C

CDS

Had a simalar problem on a refit last year - In this case we wanted to remove one of the doorframe as the bathroom and WC were being knocked into one.

If its a post war / ex council house I assume its pretty much the same.....The good news is it probably isn't load bearing (though don't quote me on that!) the bad news.... it took us well over an hour to get the frame out, it was tied to brickwork, and brickwork was built into the frame.... Hammers, crow bars, Chisel drills and brute force finally got the bloody thing out but fair to say that it was as close to bomb proof as I'd care to experience.... Good place to be in event of an earthquake though!!

I wish you luck! :thumbsup:

M

mikethetile

its a door set comes as a unit prehung with the door

though as you have discovered you can remove the door

its built into the masonry wall and is difficult to remove without causing damage

what type of window do you have and would the opening be big enough to get your bath in

B

bearwithme

not been able to get on for a while, just wanted to say thanks for input lads. all sorted now :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

what about the bathroom window.... easily removed if plastic and big enough opening.

B

bearwithme

wasn't big enough dave, just cut through the frame and removed bottom 900mm, just needed the extra 40mm width that gave me. very narrow door, !

Reply to metal door frame , help!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks