Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Mapei Keraquick Grey Storage life in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rolandk

Hi there,

just about to finish off a job I started last year with loads of help from you guys on here. Thing is I have some keraquick addy left (4 bags) which has been stored in adry garage and has manufacture date of Feb 2011. I know the official life is 12 months but do you reckon it is useable?

Thanks, Roland

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly but I wouldn't like to guarantee it. I'd give Mapei Tech a quick call and ask them 0121 508 69 70

It's normally more to do with how they've been stored and what temperatures the bags have suffered etc than actual going off dates. Or so I'm lead to believe.

R

Rolandk

Thanks Dan,

as you suggested I spoke to Mapei Tech and they say that in perfect conditions like their warehouse which is kept at 19 degrees 24/7 it would probably be OK. So over winter in my dry but unheated garage not ideal!! iThey suggest checking a bag to make sure it's still powder and not gone hard or got lumps in it then mix some and test. It might be OK but may have lost it's fast set characteristics and could take 6-8 hrs. to set. If it doesn't set it's obviously knackered!

Cheers,
Roland

B

bugs183

If you already doubt it, will you trust it???
How will you know it's ok without tiling the floor? Then you find out it's duff and you have to pull it up as you won't trust it.
I'd bin it, rapid set that is getting old is awful to use as different mixes will dry at different rates.
Bit of a shame, but is it worth the worry??

D

DHTiling

As long as no lumps in the bag then it has not started to chemical hydrate... IMO it is fine to use..

R

Rolandk

Hi,
thanks for the responses.
Earlier I opened a bag and it seemed fine in the sense that it was loose powder with a few soft lumps that were easily broken up when mixing. I mixed a little up and it seemed to go off in about 3 hours and a tile I stuck to an old concrete slab was stuck fast after that time. So it seems OK but should I be worried about those few soft lumps? Can't remember if you always get those?

Cheers,
Roland

Reply to Mapei Keraquick Grey Storage life in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks