Search the forum,

Discuss Mapei Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Minnie

I have a 2KG bag of white grout. The packet says "whilst stirring with a low speed mechanical mixer" (that would be my arm then) pour into a clean, rust-free container, containing 0.40-0.46 litres of clean water"

Now I don't want to use all the grout now, and 0.40-0.46 seems a very exact measure.

I take it 1kg would mean 0.20-0.23 of water? Does it have to be that exact?

They obviously expect everyone to do all their grouting at once.

It also says to remove 2/3 of adhesive between the tiles. That's going to be fun with the mosaics. :thumbsdown:

M

Minnie

Thats the best I've heard, must remember that one:lol:

It's a good one innit, but it's the truth.

I currently have his workbench thingy that I stuck in the bath to paint the walls. I have his drill, a chisel, a hammer, a tile saw, his electric sander, his tile cutter (which was blunt when he gave it to me :incazzato:), and a few other bits and pieces.

Naturally it's only polite that I go and spend some money in lieu of the hire of his tools :smilewinkgrin:

M

Minnie

bs.gif
sHa_sarcasticlol.gif

:incazzato::incazzato::incazzato:

You don't believe six pubs a day are shutting?

:lol:

The pub is also on the way to the shops, to which I have to go for newspaper and milk obviously. It's only polite to drop in don't you know

M

Minnie

:oops:........:lol::lol::lol:

:incazzato::incazzato:

Done. I bought a grout rake today funnily enough, but my b/f used his trowel instead.

Right, where the mosaics meet the shelf:

I only silicone the bottom bit of the mosaics above the sink yes? (ie. the vertical bit on the shelf) ,or the top as well?

Tiles next door to door frame - silicone sealant yes?

Tiles on each edge of window sill - silicone sealant?

Lucky I bought more sealant today as well eh?

oh, and will I be able to have a bath tomorrow or do I have to wait for this to dry thoroughly? I assume I have to half-fill the bath again and wait for sealant to dry again before bath can be used?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Minnie

All correct but you have to wait 7 days to have a bath...

Excellent. I had one already today. I refuse to have two in the same month.

:incazzato:

Oh, and another thing.

One of my horizontal triangles is slightly erm.... you can't swear on this forum can you? Well it's totally screwed up. I originally had a rough edge of a triangle meeting the bath and realised that shouldn't be done, so took it off and started again, so I could put the smooth edge along the bath. However, because of the angle, it wouldn't work as tile wasn't big enough - by a couple of centimetres. I cut a tiny triangle out to fit on the end of the main triangle, which, to be frank, looks absolutely crap. Should I just remove it and put sealant there instead? My horizontal surfaces just didn't work out for me at all. :mad2:

M

Minnie

Hi Minnie, rule of thumb, where a tile meets another surface creating an internal angle, use silicone.

Edit: must type faster :D

I have a wall, that maybe I should have tiled, or put tile trim on but forgot.

This wall where the level is resting. Round the other side is tiled, and I'd already put mosaics on so it was too late to put tile trim on and as the tiles are all totally a mess on the edge going down as I was having trouble working round the sink, it looks a mess on the edge. I've just grouted over that mess. :lol:

9898037-969

I bet you're going to tell me I should have put sealant? :lol:

It's not an internal wall though, so nothing's going to move if there's an earthquake is it?

ah, modem's dying again. At least it lasted 'til near the end of the job

beanz

TF
Berkshire
rake it out sorry all internals and were it meets diff surfaces (vanity glass pipes ect):8:

Really?

I can't put sealant over it?

no it needs to be able to expand and contract grout will not do this must be silicone:8:

This is an interesting debate, as i know a few guys that do site work and they always grout the internals and silicone over the top. The Mastic Man i know insists on it, as you get a better finish with the Silicone (although it clearly isn't doing its job!?!?!). This is on residential properties; the only time they leave proper expansion gaps is on large commercial jobs.

Reply to Mapei Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.