Search the forum,

Discuss mandarin stone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
whats tilers opinions on the standard of stone from mandarin? have many worked or used them? i have fixed slate from them once and it was decent quality and am looking to possibly buy copper slate from them

P

peckers

I have had some really nice stone from there, but i think the stuff they have on promo all the time is cheaper and possibly a lower grade of stone.

H

HomeBuilder

I spent over £6,000 on tiles at Mandarin Stone. One of the batches of stone for my kitchen was very different from what was on display (and very different from a batch of the same stone delivered to me – judge for yourself at Review Mandarin Stone: Awful company to deal with). Unfortunately I work in London and only discovered this once the tiles were laid. I had a couple of condescending ‘lectures’ from Mandarin that I should have checked all the tiles before laying, or that my tiler should have ‘mixed’ the tiles. The tiles were so ugly I ended up tearing them up and re-laying replacements. To ‘help’, they offered a nominal discount on the tiles I had to buy as replacement – wow, nothing like making a further profit out of a problem you have created. When my builder took samples of the tiles from the two batches they delivered, five of the stockyard team immediately recognised the vast difference. However, the director and co-owner, Sam Small, said there was no real difference and it was all within the tolerance for variance in the stone, and said “I don’t care about any difference anyway”. So much for customer care – this cost me around £4,000. I would recommend paying the small amount extra to go to Porcelanosa – their service and follow-up was outstanding.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I respect what you're saying and thank you for signing up to the forum.

Stone is stone and can't be guaranteed any certain colour etc. Your tiler should have mixed the tiles, that's a given for any tile type and any tiler.

I believe tile stores should change their display tiles often to match the current batch they have in stock to be honest. Then there would be no misunderstanding as to what customers are getting.

But stone is stone and will change depending on how much time has passed since the display went up, or sample tiles were ordered.

It's perhaps not so fair to say you personally should have checked them before getting them installed. But you and / or your tiler should have perhaps had a sample tile at the location where they were being delivered so they could be checked before pulling them off the pallets / crates.

Always a hard one this and it is just unfortunate. Especially when they've been fixed. So I feel for you.

Are you sticking with them then or have you changed them to porcelanosa tiles? Your review on your blog is very short.

M

MARBLE_TONY

I have to say I have just scraped what I was about to write(rant) but havin a look at the two photos they do look like two different limestones would be interested to get a close up of both stones.

On the other hand I find Manderin expensive.

Reaction score
They are Tony very expensive, my trav for my wet-room is from them , and its absolutely beautiful stuff,ok there are a few pieces that have flaws /patterns, but you can add them if you like or use them for cut's IMO
i would use them again,even after i had an argument with them over getting a trade price, it was the son of one of the owners ( a twit ) but i avoided him and dealt with a salesman,in the end.

P

Perry

i used to use them when i had a shop they were not good on customer service but there rep left and started his own place first class he was think he is still going strong groundwork i think in hull will have a look for a link Groundwork ? Natural Stone Tiles

Reply to mandarin stone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen