Search the forum,

Discuss Making a shower area waterproof in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sim01

Hi, I am about to fit and tile a new shower area. Web comments on how to ensure it is watertight seem to conflict with each other and I'm now more confused so I'd be grateful for some expert advice.

The three walls of the shower area are:
1. new stud
2. old lathe and plaster
3. internal brick supporting wall - back to the brick because the plaster was blown.

I am concerned about the brick wall (the others I intend to fix water resistent board to tile onto). Do I need to render the wall before applying the board or can I fix the board to the bricks ? Do I also need to tank the walls in either case? Thanks for your help.

D

davy_G

Hi simon,

When you say waterproof board, what do you mean? Water resistant plasterboard, marine play, cement reinforced board etc.

Yep, tank them anyway.

S

sim01

Hi Davy,

I am thinking of using something cement based like aquapanel or maybe wedi tileboard. On the brick wall can I just attach the board to the bricks using dabs of adhesive? One other question occurs to me - the lathe and plaster wall is pretty sound - I assume it will be strong enough to tile!

Thanks

D

david campbell

Hi Davy,

I am thinking of using something cement based like aquapanel or maybe wedi tileboard. On the brick wall can I just attach the board to the bricks using dabs of adhesive? One other question occurs to me - the lathe and plaster wall is pretty sound - I assume it will be strong enough to tile!

Thanks

20kg per m2 on the plastered wall is the recommended heaviest load it can carry:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

Hi Davy,

Thanks

Aqua panal has to be mechanically fixed, it states on the board not to dot and dab, at least it does on the knauf aquapanal.

:thumbsup:

S

sim01

David,
I think that should be ok for the lathe and plaster wall. I'd rather not go through all the mess of taking it down and boarding it. However, I guess that it might be better to tile directly onto it and tank it, rather than my original plan of attaching wedi board to it and then tiling.

Thanks again

W

White Room

Lath and plaster was never designed for tiles, A lime wash or paint was what was intended. It can give way at short notice, it may be dusty but could save you a lot of heartache later on.

Your choice though

Reply to Making a shower area waterproof in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen