Search the forum,

Discuss Laying the new tiles over old tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

melmak

-
Reaction score
Hi. I would like to have new tiles over the old tiles in the bathroom. The old tiles are of glossy type. The first thing I did is I removed the gloss from them. I used an angle grinder with a diamond disc. You can see the results on the pictures. The new tiles are going to be 30 cm by 60 cm size. What worries me is that the old tiles would not hold the new ones as the glue under the old tiles is not equally and properly spread, but in chunks as you can see in the pictures (the glue is the white chunks). However, I must say that the old tiles seem to be attached well, they do not move and did not move at all when I was grinding. The primer I plan to use Mapei Eco Prim Grip. What do you think?

Attachments

• 2022-04-13 17-02-56.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 2022-04-14 18-35-03.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 2022-04-14 20-46-40.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
As they are dot and dabbed there is no way anyone sensible is going to recommend what you propose.
Take them off and prepare the surface properly, I’m sure you know this really.

Reply to Laying the new tiles over old tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen