Discuss Laying the new tiles over old tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

melmak

-
Reaction score
Hi. I would like to have new tiles over the old tiles in the bathroom. The old tiles are of glossy type. The first thing I did is I removed the gloss from them. I used an angle grinder with a diamond disc. You can see the results on the pictures. The new tiles are going to be 30 cm by 60 cm size. What worries me is that the old tiles would not hold the new ones as the glue under the old tiles is not equally and properly spread, but in chunks as you can see in the pictures (the glue is the white chunks). However, I must say that the old tiles seem to be attached well, they do not move and did not move at all when I was grinding. The primer I plan to use Mapei Eco Prim Grip. What do you think?

Attachments

• 2022-04-13 17-02-56.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2022-04-14 18-35-03.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 2022-04-14 20-46-40.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
As they are dot and dabbed there is no way anyone sensible is going to recommend what you propose.
Take them off and prepare the surface properly, I’m sure you know this really.

Reply to Laying the new tiles over old tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks