Currently reading:
latex screed on old quarry tiles.

Discuss latex screed on old quarry tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

a bottle of gin

hi guys , i am new to the forums and to tiling so please bear with me.

i have bought some 150 year old quarry tiles with what has been described as a latex coating. it looks like a self levelling screed of some sort.

apart from sitting down and chipping away are there any other ways to clean this off?
also , will chipping away at this stuff damage the tiles?

SDC10291.jpg

SDC10292.jpg

F

frankenfurter

It's doable but it will not be the most pleasant of jobs, so heres a brief run down.

Some of the leveller you will be able to remove by pushing a 2" fine paper scraper between the latex and the tile; you can buy these from wickes. This prizes the latex of in sections.

What is left can be removed with a combination of a wire brush/fein carbide rasp and acid. If you notice the leveller is smooth surfaced, so this needs to be roughened up with the tools above and then apply a dilute solution of phosphoric or hydrochloric acid to the leveller. This allows the acid to breakdown the structure better.

Agitate the acid with a coarse scrubbing pad (wearing gloves) the leveller should foam up. When foam dies aways, rinse of and apply more acid and agitate until all gone.

As I said long winded, messy, potentially dangerous and remember plenty of ventilation especially with hydrochloric acid.

Why did you buy them with leveller on? There cheap as chips clean faced :)

A

a bottle of gin

thanks for the info , they are not that cheap cleaned. reccy yards want around 2 quid each or more for tiles like this, can you get them any cheaper? new ones can be cheaper but i will be laying these in a 16th century cottage so i wanted something that wont stand out too much , new quarry tiles might look a bit too new.
but the main reason i bought them was because i got between 6 and 7 hundred of them for five quid.:hurray:

when i bought them though they were described as being coated in latex , i thought this was a water proofing paint and would be easy to clean off.

i knew it would take a bit of work to clean them but i wasnt sure if it would be doable without destroying face of the tiles, to be fair though the tiles are 150 years old so they wont be perfect anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to latex screed on old quarry tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.