Search the forum,

Discuss Large Format On Tanking Membrane in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Anyone know the weight limits on walls once
they have been tanked ?.......just curious if fixing with large format.

T

Tile Shop

BAL WP1 is 32kg max. Not sure about any others.

Tanking onto plaster will remain at 20kg, but say you had a wall that could hold 50kg, tanking it would drop to 32. Will see if I can find out any others.

Whats your usual tanking of choice?

M

MW Smith Ceramics

T
BAL WP1 is 32kg max. Not sure about any others.

Tanking onto plaster will remain at 20kg, but say you had a wall that could hold 50kg, tanking it would drop to 32. Will see if I can find out any others.

Whats your usual tanking of choice?
Cheers for the advice there Paul.......I tend to use the Norcross wet seal system, most wet rooms I've tanked have been plaster on the walls but I'll be honest I've never checked with Norcross ......will do now as I've got one coming up with large format.......

T

Tile Shop

Just spoken to Norcros Technical. Whatever the substrate would normally hold, tanking it won't alter the limit.

So example, backer board = 60kg, tanked backer board = still 60kg.

Happy days! Norcros 1, BAL 0

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tile Shop

BAL Tank It (the new one), same as Norcros, no limit change. Just waiting on Ardex to call me back regarding the WPC :)

But if Norcros is your usual weapon of choice, I'd just stick to what you know.

O

Old Mod

BAL Tank It (the new one), same as Norcros, no limit change. Just waiting on Ardex to call me back regarding the WPC :)

But if Norcros is your usual weapon of choice, I'd just stick to what you know.
Be interesting to know if they'd still say the same using Hardie at 100kg! :)

T

Tile Shop

Be interesting to know if they'd still say the same using Hardie at 100kg! :)

BAL and Norcros said it wouldn't matter. So yeah, you can crack on with your 50mm thick limestone, lol.

Update from Ardex, their WPC, also no change. So just the WP1 to be wary of.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MW Smith Ceramics

Just spoken to Norcros Technical. Whatever the substrate would normally hold, tanking it won't alter the limit.

So example, backer board = 60kg, tanked backer board = still 60kg.

Happy days! Norcros 1, BAL 0
Nice one Paul ,

Thanks for looking into that mucka........
I see your in Northampton ......I went to check out a company over that way called Harlyn Enterprises , a well established firm with loads of housebuild work with all the big boys but rates @ £12 per metre for walls and floors!!! & you gotta pay your fuel out of that !......housebuild a these days meterage just isn't there anymore so I didn't follow it up as I can't see how I'd make that pay unless it was big areas.......id be running from room to room eating as I go!!!.....no way to work is it.......

J

Just Rizzle

ive got a shower to do with 1200x 600 porcelain tiles im going to grout in epoxy, I'm not going to tank other than run a 150 mm membrain round the shower tray to form a upstand and the internal corner again with 150 mm membrain . I can not see the point in tanking with such large tiles as by tanking it reduces the weight would not be able to fit these heavy tiles

O

One Day

ive got a shower to do with 1200x 600 porcelain tiles im going to grout in epoxy, I'm not going to tank other than run a 150 mm membrain round the shower tray to form a upstand and the internal corner again with 150 mm membrain . I can not see the point in tanking with such large tiles as by tanking it reduces the weight would not be able to fit these heavy tiles
unless you board out with wedi or kerdi board. Tape the joints and fasteners and you're good to go...

Reply to Large Format On Tanking Membrane in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen