Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Large Format - 2 Rooms Meeting At 22Deg Angle At Doorway in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Evening,

Appreciate that feedback and certainly something i will go back and look at.

As regards experience, with the exception of working with my father when he went tiling after he retired from the police and did that for 4/5 years. I am limited.

He was very particular and did great work, however, it was a very long time ago and technologies and house spec’s have moved on so much along with the increased size of the tile.

I have decent experience in the construction trade and have done a considerable amount of my new build myself, but because of all the change that has happened over the last decade or so, i would fall into the youtube category at the minute.

If you do see any further posts/threads from me, i’d welcome any comments

Thanks,
Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try and help you out if possible.
Tilers take exception to people, builders and DIYers who are sure they can/have tile/tiled as you've probably worked out?

Last edited:

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Tom,

I have to pick you up on one issue on your plans: the minimum joint width on a tiled floor is a 4 mm grout joint. That is standard and of Building Regulations for Tiling.

I can assure you that 1.5 mm is FAR too limiting when it comes to fixing tiles. At best, even rectified Italian tiles of the highest quality and cost have a factory tolerance of 0.7mm. Add this difference over a floor with a 1.5 mm joint, no tiler has a prayer of staying true and square.

This was Building Regulations for Tiling when I qualified back in 2006 at least.

There are a lot of new house buyers right now with a lot of YouTube experience, and I welcome them to this forum.
Minimum grout joint is 3mm not 4 on floors and it’s British standards not regulations if your going to be correcting everyone.

D

Deleted member 59001

Hi all,

So after a bit of time looking at this (pushed on by the fact the tiles were delivered :) ) I'm looking at doing the below as a solution.

Splitting the angle would give me a joint running 11Deg through the threshold at the door, which i didnt like.

The below option (three coloured tiles) at least retains a straight edge parallel with the door.

Anything i'm missing with this option ?

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• Floor_Tile_Threshold_Layout_Rev1.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 28
T

Tiling_tom

Hopefully the “yellow” tile isn’t a full tile from the back wall otherwise your plan will not work as it won’t be wide enough.

Well spotted,

We were probably going to run a different tile into that adjacent room, so the plan may still work.

But that is why i posted that picture, i did not catch that,

Much appreciated for that comment
Tom

D

Deleted member 59001

Thanks for reply Hobnob,

We will most likely run a different tile into the adjecent room.

But i did not spot that, so much appreciated for that reply.

Tom

D

Deleted member 59001

Just an update,

I decided to go with the attached layout.

It turned out really well.

I wanted the line from the kitchen to run through and the line from the hall to run through, hence the small triangle piece.

Its all completed and grouted now but this is the only pic i have at the minute.

Attachments

• EFEC0AD1-FEFF-493C-8484-63B09AF41F08.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26

Reply to Large Format - 2 Rooms Meeting At 22Deg Angle At Doorway in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks