Search the forum,

Discuss Job Of The Month Comp is BACK!!! WOOOOOOO in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Dan submitted a new blog post

tilersforums.com Job Of The Month Competition is Back
Untitled-one.png

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
O

Old Mod

but don't miss the deadline!

To be honest, with the date thing, I'm more relaxed than some staff about it.

I haven't stipulated in the terms (so far) to include a photo of a newspaper or your watch or whatever showing the date. I'd like to think we can allow as many people to enter as possible and not risk losing an entry just because somebody couldn't get back to the job with a newspaper to take a photo when it had the bath put in etc etc

So that's up for debate perhaps.

You mean me! Haha

The problem I see, is the reason why it didn't take off again last time, it lost its meaning because it was just guys entering with an image, as and when and if they could be bothered. No explanation, no before during or after images or information.
And for a percentage of members, they saw the competition not being given enough respect, it's great having lots of entries, yes.
But not at the expense of the competition or tag.
But that's just my opinion :rolleyes:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You mean me! Haha

The problem I see, is the reason why it didn't take off again last time, it lost its meaning because it was just guys entering with an image, as and when and if they could be bothered. No explanation, no before during or after images or information.
And for a percentage of members, they saw the competition not being given enough respect, it's great having lots of entries, yes.
But not at the expense of the competition or tag.
But that's just my opinion :rolleyes:
No lol to be honest I've been the one that always said the date stamp thing just discouraged entries, was Dave's original gig and his idea. It's all the staff but me lol

I totally agree with more photos the better though. That's not what I'm disagreeing with. I love the before and after shots. And have enabled up to 15 images to be added for that reason. But I wouldn't say it's a requirement. It'd just get you more votes if you can explain it well and show the before during and after. Like you say. :)

O

Old Mod

Not a requirement no, ok badly worded maybe, but I was rushing cos I wanted my dinner. Haha
My point is, last time it run, entries were consisting of just a single image, even when entrants were pm'd and asked to upload an album, it was ignored.
No effort was made other than a single image.
That dragged the meaning of the whole JOTM concept down, and regular members considered this as detrimental, and not only to the competition, but to the tag also.
If it starts to mean nothing, then all of this will be wasted effort on everyone's part.
So if we want sponsors to chip in too, then I feel it should be something that's not given easily, that's how it became so coveted in the first place.
And it's not difficult to prove date and time really is it, even a bloody screen shot of your phone is better than nothing.
I'm not trying to put up obstacles, in fact I've tried to get it off the ground a couple of times, but the regular or long standing members are the ones we need to encourage to enter.
Not someone who signs up, posts an image and is never seen again.
It makes a mockery.
I know I'm being extreme in my scenarios, but I'm tired and I'm just trying to get my point over.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
When we ran it before we had people uploading 30 or so sometimes. It was only that silly system that made people upload one image because that's all it allowed in the actual album.

I doubt we will have just 1 image per entry this time round mate dont worry. The less rules the better though for now.

Something i would like to know everybody's opinion on is whether we keep entries private until voting opens.

I can hide submissions until voting day.

Sometimes we used to have an awesome job uploaded first and nobody wanted to go ahead with them so would shy away.

Maybe we hide entries this time round!?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You could do with visiting the forum on a PC. The website isn't an app with a couple of options. It's a fully blown website with blogs and a directory and a million posts and whatnot.

It's designed for PC's and then trimmed down for tablets, and trimmed down again for mobile devices.

It's not physically designed for mobiles.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I am very supprised at that!

What, being corrected lol

That's about right for a website that gets 95% of its traffic from a search engine.

We aren't an app.

We are a website. Mostly a forum, but not just a forum these days.

We would need several apps (think Facebook) to serve all users with all features.

So don't expect basic buttons like an app when you visit our website.

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
i really like the sound of this and think that hiding the entries until voting starts would help get more entries, but i do feel that some on the site will be slightly helped over all by the area the area thry live in and how that corresponds to standard/type of work they get in, now i just using this as an example, but lets say there is bathroom done in 300 x 600 porcelains, but with some creative solutions to wall prep or boxing, lay out or some other feature that took serious thinking and hard work comes up against (sorry marc not aimed at you mate) a bookmatch that was prepped well by someone else and was just walked in and tiled, now in pictures one will look like a better class of room regardless of the actual effort and time and skill in varying areas that went into the rooms. i can guess which will probably win if alot of guys who dont prep or are newer to the industry and dont understand the difference in overall technical skill between the different jobs are posting most votes. i have just used this as and example and i know bookmatch is an immense skill and am not meaning to offend anyone with this i hope you can see what im trying to say in that i think would be unfair if the material used starts taking prefference over the skill set involved in the job

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
i really like the sound of this and think that hiding the entries until voting starts would help get more entries, but i do feel that some on the site will be slightly helped over all by the area the area thry live in and how that corresponds to standard/type of work they get in, now i just using this as an example, but lets say there is bathroom done in 300 x 600 porcelains, but with some creative solutions to wall prep or boxing, lay out or some other feature that took serious thinking and hard work comes up against (sorry marc not aimed at you mate) a bookmatch that was prepped well by someone else and was just walked in and tiled, now in pictures one will look like a better class of room regardless of the actual effort and time and skill in varying areas that went into the rooms. i can guess which will probably win if alot of guys who dont prep or are newer to the industry and dont understand the difference in overall technical skill between the different jobs are posting most votes. i have just used this as and example and i know bookmatch is an immense skill and am not meaning to offend anyone with this i hope you can see what im trying to say in that i think would be unfair if the material used starts taking prefference over the skill set involved in the job
That's job and month-specific. And fair game to all (everybody can have both kind of jobs equally so fair game IMO).

That's not something we can fix without having competition categories. So not a problem for now. Maybe one day we will have enough entries to section them off.

The way to go about it though is to show your workings in your pictures and explain in your description how it was tiled.

That way, somebody walking in on flat walls with flat tiles and good cutter who has no issues but it cost 100,000 has the same chance as a guy who does a splashback but it was the job from hell and it still ended up awesome.

It's the members that vote, so they'll see the pros and cons with both. They're all tilers too. :)

Reply to Job Of The Month Comp is BACK!!! WOOOOOOO in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Article
123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses 123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses in Stoke On Trent’s Once Thriving Ceramics and...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Kitchen Tiling Guide This simple Kitchen Tiling Guide is something a lot of people could have done with finding before attempting to tile their kitchen walls or floor. Hi. Hope you can help me...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Revamp Your Space on a Budget: Where to Find Affordable and Quality Cheap Floor Tiles When it comes to transforming your living space, few changes can make as dramatic an impact as new flooring...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement