Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is this a bad tiling job? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

I'm sorry its another bad job or not thread.

We've been having our downstairs toilet renovated using a local plumbing company who employ and external tiler to do any tile work. Throughout it has felt rushed- and I have had doubts regarding the mitring of the tile border in particular- but had naively hoped that the grout would sort this issue out.

Having come back today we feel really quite disappointed with the overall appearance of the tile, especially given the cash we are spending having a reputable local company do it. Any advice on whether the job is that bad overall would be appreciated.

Many thanks and sorry for another one of these threads!

Attachments

• bad tile 1.jpeg
    bad tile 1.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 94
  • bad tile 2.jpeg
    bad tile 2.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 87
  • bad tile 3.jpeg
    bad tile 3.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 84
  • bad tile 4.jpeg
    bad tile 4.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 93
  • bad tile 5.jpeg
    bad tile 5.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 85
  • bad tile 6.jpeg
    bad tile 6.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 85
Reaction score
All round a poor job. Mitres are no where near acceptable. Layout is poor. Trims cut short. General standard of tile isn't great. And although black grout isn't the Kindest. The grout finish is sloppy.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
Im never too quick to pull apart somebody else's work, but that really looks very sloppy in my opinion. White metros with black grout is a nightmare combination in all fairness, as it will show up even the most minor imperfection, but I would always tell a potential customer this from the outset and would add in the additional time required to get a decent finish on the grout. If the client is happy to pay for it, I'm more than happy to install with that colour combination.

Had they of taken more time on the grouting and cleaning of the grout, it would have looked a lot better. The layout of the tiles is bad in areas and taking more time to get that right would have helped. It looks rushed. The trims look terrible in places and it is far from a professional finish. In fact it looks more like a very average diy job to me.

Not all tilers will mitre external tile edges as you have requested and I am one who doesn't as I've only been going a few years now and am not confident I could do these to a standard which is acceptable and charge a client for that. I could do a damn site better than your "tiler" has mind you!

I would have explained this and suggested a trim on that external corner instead, rather than just hoping I can bodge it!

I think it's a poor job overall and you should be raising the issue with the contractor and withholding payment until it's all put right.

Hobnob

-
Reaction score
It looks as though their usual tiler was too busy to do the work in the timeframe requested as I can’t believe they would be using that guy again.
The border tiles do need to be mitred and setting any wet cutter blade at 45 degrees will give a lovely cut. All internal corners should be silicone and as already mentioned, there should have been much more care and attention paid to the grouting process.
Good luck in resolving your issue as I would struggle to live with that job so would be demanding a full refit.

Reply to Is this a bad tiling job? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock