Search the forum,

Discuss Is my tiler using the correct adhesive ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Bonding coat should not be tiled to...it isn't stable enough to hold tiles....and the picture frame effect is true...as far as the air can get it will dry and thats it.......some moisture will soak into the substrate but thats it...Also when pva is used it forms a skin and dose not impregnate the substrate like primers do....so when you apply a dispersion adhesive etc it wets the pva ,,thus making it live again and nothing really holding the tiles in place....so if the pva formed a skin on the substrates surface then thats all the tiles are held with..

Primers seal the substrate from sucking moisture from dispersion adhesives to quickly and with a portland cement adhesive it stops ettringnite reaction....

Those tiles might well hold...we are just trying to tell you the correct way it should have been done....as confirmed by the tech guy you phoned......

G

graybags

Update

My tiler took the tiles of the walls around the shower area, where the adhesive had substantially set, but were all re-fixed anyway using the correct cement based adhesive. The job is now complete and we are both happy and talking !

O

Olz

Glad you've got it sorted, any chance of you posting some photo's up of the finished job?

S

smurf21

Use suitable bonding agent on the walls...not pva... and cement based flexi adhesive on the walls or normal cement based addy as long as it contains porcel bond ...ask this guy for his credentialls and then bin them.

G

graybags

If you read the thread you will realise that we have been there and done that. The PVA was binned long ago, along with the ready-mix. This guys tiling is spot on and I would have no hesitation in using him again.

G

grumpygrouter

If you read the thread you will realise that we have been there and done that. The PVA was binned long ago, along with the ready-mix. This guys tiling is spot on and I would have no hesitation in using him again.
GLad you got all this sorted Graybags and that you have a job you are delighted with, and also that your tiler has also leaned something. You can be sure as shooting he won't pva again and I am sure he would be happy to do work for you again if you were to ask him.:thumbsup:

pete f

TF
Arms
Reaction score
:yikes:if he does not know that he needs to use cementitious adhesive on porcelain get someone else my friend the fixed tiles will clean off ok it wont have gone off on monday:yikes:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just bumping some of the older popular (sometimes not so popular) threads. Probably wont be current discussion these days but I just need to do it. So just ignore the thread if it's not current for you.

Reply to Is my tiler using the correct adhesive ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen