Search the forum,

Discuss Is my tiler using the correct adhesive ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

faithhealer

PVA shouldn't be used at all! Even on an external wall. It's basically a very old (out dated) habbit that refuses to die... ;)
A certain famous tile shop was still selling it as a tiling aid only a year ago!

G

graybags

I regret that my wife does not want to offend him and having seen two jobs done for friends of hers was impressed with the finish (of which I have no complaints). He has done 5 courses on two walls,which will stay put, but remainder will be done with cement based powder adhesive and an acylic primer. Fortunately PVA was only used on the short external wall. I know the tiles should all come off and start again, but I can do without another major barney with the Mrs and at least this way if they do drop off I am totally in the clear and can say I told you so !

T

tile55

I regret that my wife does not want to offend him and having seen two jobs done for friends of hers was impressed with the finish (of which I have no complaints). He has done 5 courses on two walls,which will stay put, but remainder will be done with cement based powder adhesive and an acylic primer. Fortunately PVA was only used on the short external wall. I know the tiles should all come off and start again, but I can do without another major barney with the Mrs and at least this way if they do drop off I am totally in the clear and can say I told you so !

If you and your wife are happy, then that is the main thing. Hope all goes well for you.:yes:

H

Highlander

Sorry mate this dont "offend him" wont wash with me. How you going to feel if you hear that some kid ended up in hospital with a fractured skull because this clown has continued to use tubbed gear and pva on porcelain tiles????
The guy might be old time and thinks this is the way he has always done it. He might be a great tiler just not up to speed on product knowledge by pointing him to this site or just by getting him to call the Bal or whoevers helpline will help years of grief for future customers.

As for your wife mate youcan let her know at least the job you did was done right even if it did not come to her standard.

And if the tiler wants to debate the issue tell him come on here and leave a message for Highlander and we will see who will win the debate :smash:

D

doug boardley

Sorry mate this dont "offend him" wont wash with me. How you going to feel if you hear that some kid ended up in hospital with a fractured skull because this clown has continued to use tubbed gear and pva on porcelain tiles????
The guy might be old time and thinks this is the way he has always done it. He might be a great tiler just not up to speed on product knowledge by pointing him to this site or just by getting him to call the Bal or whoevers helpline will help years of grief for future customers.

As for your wife mate youcan let her know at least the job you did was done right even if it did not come to her standard.

And if the tiler wants to debate the issue tell him come on here and leave a message for Highlander and we will see who will win the debate :smash:
well said Gary, I agree with you 100%+ all the way!:punk:

G

graham31

Not wanting to offend the tilers??????????????????

It's your money your safety your peace of mind,that all that should matter here not weather or not the tiler will be offended or not.

The tiler should THANK you for updating his knowledge!!!!

G

garretridge

i did job back in october full bathroom with large format tiles and the tile shop supplied tub addy with the tiles dont no why had to tell customer that he needed cement based addy and i wouldnt do it without it, so i supplied it the tile shops should know better,and the tilers first job is to know what adhesives to use on any job dont let him ruin any more give him the boot!:incazzato:

P

P'boro tiler

tell him he's clearly not trained or aware of correct tiling techniques. i wouldnt try and get money out of him as it wont happen

L

LJB Tiling

Or you could just give him this link PowerSpec Online Tiling adhesive and grout specifier

I sure hope my customers are as laid back as this if i ever make mistakes, won't be making them kinda mistakes though i can assure you of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

simhopper

CTD Temple Park once sold me Bal white star for 600 by 300 young stone porcelain, Guy on the counter was clueless but luckily there got shot of him, only took it as i got it for £7 per tub as he couldnt even get the prices right!

L

LM Ceramics

definetly the wrong adhesive has been used as pointed out and luckly all the walls might have been pva d but there are a few tilers i know who still use pva as a primer and will not be told different i too confess before i joined this forum i was a pva user but then i quickly realised that this was wrong there are alot of decent tilers out there that arent up to scratch on the preparation of tiling. thats why i think this forum is priceless without it i would have continued to be a pva user and a bog standard site basher.

maybe if you tell your tiler to come on this forum he may see the light as i did myself im always prepared to listen and take on board new techniques and advice if i go wrong this forum did me the world of good

G

graybags

Just as a matter of interest LM...................how many of yours dropped off over the years ?!

L

LM Ceramics

Just as a matter of interest LM...................how many of yours dropped off over the years ?!

to be honest none that i know of but in time they could do so i cant condone the use of pva but ive learnt not to use it as a primer as i said there are tilers who still use pva.

i think the pva v primers thread was all the info i needed to stop using it

Last edited by a moderator:
G

graybags

Thanks to everyone for their very helpful comments. I contacted BAL and was given similar advice,very speedily and efficiently, so top marks to them. Interestingly, whilst not saying as much, the inference was that the tiles might hold, but in what was described as a picture frame effect. I am going to ask the tiler to remove a few tiles in the shower area, which is the area of most concern to me to see if the adhesive in the centre has gone off or is still tacky and then take it from there. Another point made by BAL was that they advise against tiling on bonding plaster, but no explanation as to why.

Reply to Is my tiler using the correct adhesive ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen