Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Internet sales tax and high street business in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dumbo

Maplins also so I heard... used to beone of my favourite shops when I was at Uni in the UK.
I thought the problem with maplins was the staff expected you to talk geek when you wanted something and they also expected you to understand fluent geek when it was spoken to you at normal speed

W

Waluigi

The internet firms I deal with for bathrooms purely take the money and the items are delivered either direct from manufacturer or a huge bathroom company that stocks various manufacturers items.

The internet companys give huge discounts and takes a very small margin just for taking the order and obviously having the web presence.

Go into a showroom to buy the same products and the margins are almost half as much. That’s a lot of money on a complete room. I stopped dealing with showrooms about five years ago.

C

Concrete guy

Well thats popped a bubble...I'd never have imagined you run ATS from your shed Alan..fair bloody play mate, fair play!!
Well thats popped a bubble...I'd never have imagined you run ATS from your shed Alan..fair bloody play mate, fair play!!

Dnbpqgh.jpg

ATS international headquarters in my Garden.

Funnily enough my wife refers to it as a shed also!

We have secure storage off site and bring in stock as we need it. It's the future of trading.

B

Blunt Tool

Mike Ashley business models? Slave labour, no tea, dinner or toilet breaks, everything timed and zero hour contracts and that’s just his football club, don’t get me started on his companies. Yes let’s listen to him he’s all for the man on the street!!

C

Concrete guy

Mike Ashley business models? Slave labour, no tea, dinner or toilet breaks, everything timed and zero hour contracts and that’s just his football club, don’t get me started on his companies. Yes let’s listen to him he’s all for the man on the street!!

The reality is for traditional businesses to survive in the currently accepted (Historical) model that's what's needed, unpalatable as it may be. Yet the man you're berating is actually trying to give the Government advice on how to change this.

He is also the only person stepping up when it hits the fan to take on these failing companies as their prehistoric business models drive them to bankruptcy.

So until the powers that be start to grasp how much poo these businesses are in and why, I'm sure the thousands of employees that have retained jobs would more than likely prefer zero hour contracts than no job at all.

Watch the above video without prejudice if you can. Take a step back and consider the questions and reasoning the panel are putting to Mike Ashley. Then realise it's these people on the panel and people like them that are running the country and deciding what works. You'll then understand why we're in the mess we are.

They are on the whole, clueless civil servants that haven't done real days work in their life or have one iota of business sense.

B

Blunt Tool

He showed his true colours with his dealings at Rangers, and nobody becomes a Billlionaire without screwing the working man.

I

Italy

I really don't understand it. Business models become outdated because technology moves on because peoples preferences change....it's just a fact. Milk's not delivered to your door anymore (TO MY COUNTRY, they still bring BREAD AND MILK.) :)
, you don't send your camera film in to be developed anymore and you don't just use your mobile phone to call and speak to people anymore.

The only reason people will be out of work is because the older legacy businesses didn't adapt to change in time and because the governments did too little to be proactive by preparing the labour force for the changing landscape before the changes happen.

And their answer to the mess they're sitting with.......tax their way out of it. Genius idea, it's not going to help the situation one iota but some extra folding stuff in the governments back pocket is always nice. It's easily marketable to the average consumer that's going to end up paying it by invoking some nostalgia about the good ol' highstreet and as being good for unemployment plus they can trot out an endless stream of short sighted legacy business owners that helped cause the problem in the first place and they'll do the cheerleading about how that's the best answer.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The reality is for traditional businesses to survive in the currently accepted (Historical) model that's what's needed, unpalatable as it may be. Yet the man you're berating is actually trying to give the Government advice on how to change this.

He is also the only person stepping up when it hits the fan to take on these failing companies as their prehistoric business models drive them to bankruptcy.

So until the powers that be start to grasp how much poo these businesses are in and why, I'm sure the thousands of employees that have retained jobs would more than likely prefer zero hour contracts than no job at all.

Watch the above video without prejudice if you can. Take a step back and consider the questions and reasoning the panel are putting to Mike Ashley. Then realise it's these people on the panel and people like them that are running the country and deciding what works. You'll then understand why we're in the mess we are.

They are on the whole, clueless civil servants that haven't done real days work in their life or have one iota of business sense.

Couldn't agree more Alan

The panel were dinosaurs living in the past

You could see his frustration when answering the questions. He didn't give them the answers they wanted to hear i.e. running things their way.

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Personally I buy all my clothes online.. I buy a few different sizes of each, try them on in the comfort of my own home, send back what I don't like/didn't fit me.. much easier and quicker than going to town

F

Flintstone

Couldn't agree more Alan

The panel were dinosaurs living in the past

You could see his frustration when answering the questions. He didn't give them the answers they wanted to hear i.e. running things their way.

It's plain to see they don't know what they are on about, think they also didn't want to like his ideas from the start, especially that main bloke,

Reply to Internet sales tax and high street business in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks