Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How do I remove white 'cloudy' stains from Victorian tiles? in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J

janeat38

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi everyone, we recently had our Victorian hallway floor tiles cleaned with an acid wash but have since noticed white 'cloudy' patches appearing on a few of the tiles. Because the job overran before Christmas, the floor was not sealed which was obviously not ideal. How can we clean the white patches off before we get the floor finished and sealed? Thanks in advance if you can share any tips.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Any photos please!
Also you shouldn't be doing anything to it - get your installer back.

Reaction score
Might be that the acid wash wasn't rinsed and neutralised properly. Lithofin Wexa is a brilliant all rounder and would be the way I'd go. Plenty of Lithofin threads on here and a resident expert.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Pics would be best, as above .

Also as rich ,poss chemical . May be a light mineral salt or light polymer residue fom the grouting process , does it buff away by hand?

Try a two tile (test ;))with a little water and a white pad from a tile outlet for a couple of min and buff dry.
We can go from there.

As John , this should be done by your installer.

OP
J

janeat38

Belated thanks for your advice everyone! I'm attaching some photos incase that helps identify the problem. To clarify, the floor was recently restored - so some tiles were replaced and grouted but only some - then the whole floor was washed and buffed in an acid bath but not sealed (as the whole job was running over time before Christmas ). The white patching is sporadic and I can't see a direct correlation with any that were grouted. I'm going to try the water and light buffing by hand. I also happen to have a product called Lithofin power clean if any of our residents think that would help? If anyone has any more suggestions now you've seen the photos I'd love to hear them!

14844066320792049895681.jpg 14844066724921845136402.jpg 14844066922581188476267.jpg 1484406707579865046167.jpg

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

I think the acid has slightly bleached the tiles. You could put a 50/50 mix of white spirit/boiled linseed oil on the affected tiles and return the colour . Try on a less obvious area first and make sure it's rubbed well in and none allowed to remain on surface after 10 mins.
On picture 1 - why the full half tile on the restoration and not quarter pieces.
Was it a professional restoration?

OP

4Seasons

Hi,,I'm new to this posting lark so please bear with! I have been using Tar and Traffic film remover on a decently discovered Minton floor. The person who stuck on tiles used some heavy duty glue that's really difficult to get off. Any ideas welcomed please? Cheers

OP
F

Flintstone

I don’t think TFR is the best thing to use, as it isn’t a car! Try a Lithofin product, there is one for every occasion really, all the info on there site

OP
E

Emmet K H

Hi, If anyone can assist I'd be grateful. I have Victorian tiles which I purchased reclaimed to Finnish a job. when they arrived they seem to have a pattern stain lime that of underlay. I can't wash it off. I have tried many different methods. I did try baking soda mixed with washing up liquid and a drop of water - this did with effort remove the stain. but it seems this method is taking a slight layer off the top of the time. I will try enhance the time with perhaps linseed oil ?

Anyone come across this staining and perhaps recommend the right way for its removal.

Many thanks

Reaction score
Hi, If anyone can assist I'd be grateful. I have Victorian tiles which I purchased reclaimed to Finnish a job. when they arrived they seem to have a pattern stain lime that of underlay. I can't wash it off. I have tried many different methods. I did try baking soda mixed with washing up liquid and a drop of water - this did with effort remove the stain. but it seems this method is taking a slight layer off the top of the time. I will try enhance the time with perhaps linseed oil ?

Anyone come across this staining and perhaps recommend the right way for its removal.

Many thanks
Classic reclaimed tile issue. That's what you bought, because there was an issue.
Sorry, but some things are just to good to be true. You've been had!

Reply to How do I remove white 'cloudy' stains from Victorian tiles? in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock