Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Tiled wetroom floor looks perfect but grout doesn't dry out! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Paula

I was looking at his pressure test , the way your plumber has had that rigged up its only testing the two outlets unless hes done the test from the main stopcock and not the actual shower valve , by using the main your actually testing the whole house but its the only way to test the actual shower valve unless youve access to the pipework,

Hi Kris

yes, you are right, but he took the faceplate off the main shower valve and inspected inside (it is buried in quite a large void in the wall) and there was no sign of any leakage from any of the pipes leading into it (I had a look myself). I can double check this with him, though if you think it's relevant.

Meanwhile, we'll carry on toasting the floor and see if it dries out!

P

Paula

I was looking at his pressure test , the way your plumber has had that rigged up its only testing the two outlets unless hes done the test from the main stopcock and not the actual shower valve , by using the main your actually testing the whole house but its the only way to test the actual shower valve unless youve access to the pipework,

Just thinking about this, when you look at where the inlet pipes are in relation to the tiles, they are well behind the plasterboard and tiles. So surely if there was a leak here, then the water would be much more likely to run down the inside of the plasterboard and eventually through to the ceiling below, which definitely hasn't happened. As I said, there was absolutely no sign of leaking anywhere near the valve when we looked in the cavity.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
And the waste wouldn't cause water to go above the tanking, and as you said, you'd see it in the ceiling below, eventually (at least by now anyway - some staining or something if not a full blown disaster type leak situation).

I'm absolutely baffled I must be honest.

But tiles don't cause water issues like that. It HAS to be something to do with the plumbing, somehow. I just can't think of anything.

The fact it was happening before the epoxy was installed, only means it has been pushed further into the bathroom, the epoxy hasn't fixed the issue per se. So it will still be a problem somewhere around the drain or shower heads. But if theres no sign of leaks there, then I can't see what it can be.

P

Paula

so how did he explain the patches outside the shower getting wetter even when there was no water touching the tiles or the grout or the drane ??

He was as perplexed as the rest of us! The only thing he could think was that there was still water trapped under the tray tiles from before the epoxy (our original grout still had damp patches after weeks and weeks of no use) and that this was now gradually working its way out beyond the shower tray (as it can't evaporate through epoxy, but can through the grout in the rest of the floor). Maybe it's not a steady process, and perhaps some days there is more evaporation than others (due to differences in humidity/full moon etc!!). But as Dan said, water is unlikely to travel uphill up the slope of the shower tray, isn't it?

That's why he said turn on the underfloor heating and see if we can get to a position of no wet patches, then try again.

P

Paula

for there to still be water that is just trapped under the tiles you must have had buckets full under there to start with and where did that come from if there was no obvious cracks or missing grout.

Well if you remember there was quite a lot of missing grout around the drain, plus I think one of you spotted small cracks in some of the grout lines in the tray, so it could be that loads of water got in there during the six months or so we were using the shower every day?

Reply to Help! Tiled wetroom floor looks perfect but grout doesn't dry out! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

Birthdays