Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Guys, does size matter? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Now that I have your attention, the question is about wet room formers!
I have an en suite which is approx. 1.7 m x 2m.
I want to put the shower (level access/tiled floor) across the back of the room along the 1.7m width. I'm thinking maybe an 1100mm or 1200mm screen at 800mm out, parallel to the 1.7m wall. So leaving an opening of either 500mm or 600mm depending on screen size.
I'm aware that SWMBO won't like a lot of water splashing around.
So my question: Would it make any difference whatsoever to use a 1500 x 800 tray rather than a 1200 x 800? Would it be better for the water that splashes towards the opening or is the fall on these types of trays negligible?
I'm thinking that if I use a 1200 tray the water that goes into the corner will stay there? If I was to slope the tiles towards the drain, then I'd have to do that with the tiles in front of the shower area also but the toilet is in that area.
Any advice appreciated. Be gentle I'm a DIY newbie to wet rooms etc.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I would use a 1200 x 800 tray with a 1200 screen, this way the cuts you make to the tiles to create the drainage fall end in the same place as the screen.
I would use a former with a centre drain if using a ceiling fed fixed head on its own as this can be positioned directly above and will give you plenty of room, or a linear drain if using a wall mounted riser etc as you will probably need to stand a bit closer to the shower.

You should prepare the whole 1700 area the same so full tanking etc as the actual tray section.

Under floor heating I think is a must for wetrooms and really helps to dry the area out after use.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Boggs. Sounds good. Yes I have already bought a ufh mat for the area. The shower is a Mira Mode with a ceiling fed fixed but also a ceiling fed riser & head. I am looking at a tile suppliers online (not sure if I can mention names but initials PA) and am considering the Aquafix tray which appears remarkably similar to the Prowarm trays. Not sure if I would attempt the envelope cuts as I was thinking it would look better with the (approx 50mm)mosaics in this area and, yes to same place as glass screen, as you suggest. I was going to select the tiled drain insert but the Mrs prefers the stainless steel. I'm considering the Ardex tanking kit also. Thanks for your advice it is very much appreciated.

Reply to Guys, does size matter? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock