Discuss Joining horizontal tiles to shower tray. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 53212

I am retrofitting a 1200 X 760mm shower tray into an irregularly dimensioned shower room 1200mm X 1200mm X 1000mm X 780mm. The short sides are parallel and square to one long side. This leaves a roughly triangular area 1200mm long and about 30mm wide at one end and 240mm at the other which I intend to tile. The existing wall tiles sit on top of the tray with a small gap.
My problem is this: If I tile so that the tiles fit under the wall tiles I would have to butt the tiles flush with the top of the shower tray in order to get a slight fall. No problem with the wall/tile joint but how do I make the tile/showertray joint water tight? If I just use silicone sealant should the gap be as tight as possible - say 2 -3 mm or should I leave a wider gap say 10mm in order to allow a bit more flexibility in the silicone. Is one product more suitable than another? Is there a joining strip for horizontal surfaces similar to the one developed for wall/floor joints?
Another option might be to butt the tiles up to the wall tiles and run the tiles over the tray. I could use something such as Shower Seal Ultra 10 to seal the wall/tile joint but is there a trim strip that would seal the tile/tray join? Or again, would silicone be the simple answer? The tiles are 8mm.

Attachments

• DSC_0367.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0368.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0369.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 29

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am retrofitting a 1200 X 760mm shower tray into an irregularly dimensioned shower room 1200mm X 1200mm X 1000mm X 780mm. The short sides are parallel and square to one long side. This leaves a roughly triangular area 1200mm long and about 30mm wide at one end and 240mm at the other which I intend to tile. The existing wall tiles sit on top of the tray with a small gap.
My problem is this: If I tile so that the tiles fit under the wall tiles I would have to butt the tiles flush with the top of the shower tray in order to get a slight fall. No problem with the wall/tile joint but how do I make the tile/showertray joint water tight? If I just use silicone sealant should the gap be as tight as possible - say 2 -3 mm or should I leave a wider gap say 10mm in order to allow a bit more flexibility in the silicone. Is one product more suitable than another? Is there a joining strip for horizontal surfaces similar to the one developed for wall/floor joints?
Another option might be to butt the tiles up to the wall tiles and run the tiles over the tray. I could use something such as Shower Seal Ultra 10 to seal the wall/tile joint but is there a trim strip that would seal the tile/tray join? Or again, would silicone be the simple answer? The tiles are 8mm.
Big issue there. I had a similar job back in January.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 53212

Nope
[automerge]1572797956[/automerge]
You will have to build it as a shelf, meaning the tile has to sit on top of shower tray. Proper pitched down so the water won't sit on top. Proper waterproofed with waterproof membrane, corners. I always use Schluter Kerdi corners
Thanks for that. I haven't had time to check out Schluter Kerdi website in detail but they look the business. I'll get in touch with them tomorrow. And I'll work on my second option to bring the tile over the top of the tray. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to bed the tiles on a bead of silicone on the tray and then finish it off with silicone along the edge. My only slight concern is that the edge of the tile isn't coloured and without an edging strip it could look unsightly.

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I haven't had time to check out Schluter Kerdi website in detail but they look the business. I'll get in touch with them tomorrow. And I'll work on my second option to bring the tile over the top of the tray. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to bed the tiles on a bead of silicone on the tray and then finish it off with silicone along the edge. My only slight concern is that the edge of the tile isn't coloured and without an edging strip it could look unsightly.
Use a stainless steel trim for that

Reply to Joining horizontal tiles to shower tray. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks