Discuss Grouting bevelled tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

dboden

TF
Reaction score
I am about to grout my 1st job today. (tiled yesterday)
But the tiles have quite a pronounced bevelled edge,
As it is not flat, am I to approach any different,
Something is telling me, that it is going to be a nightmare, because the float won't be able to drag across flat, taking off excess??

M

MICK the Tiler

Yeah!!! I know these tiles can be a pain. If you can use the point of the grout float to remove as much excess as you can, and don't try and grout to much floor at one time, Have plenty of fresh water on hand and wear gloves as the excess grout will wear your fingers down pretty quick.

M

MICK the Tiler

Same diff.............. You will use more grout with these tiles though and a far bit will just get washed off. Start with a small area and see how they wipe off then if you feel you can grout a bit more then go for it.:thumbsup:

G

Gazzer

Instead of using your finger, get a piece of wooden dowel and cut it to a length you find comfortable to hold (approx 150mm- 200mm) then round the ends with sandpaper. When you have applied the grout take the dowel and strike lightly down and across the grouted joints as you would with your finger. This will "tool the joint and remove some excess grout. Then wash off with your sponge to remove and clean the remaining grout from the tile. A proper tile sponge is best used as they have a good density thus leaving a nicer finish.

And yes i agree they are a pain in the backside.

C

CBTC

Good grouting makes the job - rushed grouting ruins all jobs. It will take time to do this properly, and as its your first job..well do it properly! Dont even get into the mindset of thinking grouting is a pain at the end of the 'real' job. First thing I have taught apprentices.
hope it turns out well:thumbsup:

Colin

Reply to Grouting bevelled tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks