Currently reading:
Grout line thickness

Discuss Grout line thickness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

why tile

If the floor is as smooth as glass and all your tiles are exactly the same size then you might get away with it but I have yet to see those conditions. I dont like to go below 2mm.

:thumbsup:

same as but i have a customer who asked if there was any reason why i couldnt make the grout line as small *** possible, and to be honest i didnt have an answer so thought i would ask the question.

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
i here alot about british standard, but is this the law?

It's not the law, as you can do whatever you like in your own place, BS5385 parts 1-5 are guidelines for a proper tiling job and usually required more in the commercial sector, however, myself, and Im sure, a lot of others on here do our tiling to BS5385 anyway for peace of mind and no comebacks.

W

why tile

It's not the law, as you can do whatever you like in your own place, BS5385 parts 1-5 are guidelines for a proper tiling job and usually required more in the commercial sector, however, myself, and Im sure, a lot of others on here do our tiling to BS5385 anyway for peace of mind and no comebacks.

i dont meen to be funny with you but your first reply conficts with this reply dont you think?

D

dock

BS minimum (5385 Part3 for porc floor tiling) recommends minimum 3mm this is because;

1 Grout joint is not purely decorative it is there to compress and to accomodate some
expansion which will occur due to the natural variation in temperature and moisture
levels within the service life of the installation. More flexible sealant is used in
movement joints at 6 - 10M centres dependant on construction.
2 To accomodate dimensional variation in the tile.

D

diamondtiling

As above, 3mm min joint the bigger the tile the bigger the joint imo. If I am working with a 600mm x 300mm I would go for min 3mm joint, better still 4mm, for expansion reasons. The more tile area the less joints. Less grout to accommodate lateral movement:thumbsup:

Good points Phil but what about rectified 600 x 600 polished porcelain that looks bad with a 4mm grout line, I always want to close them up as much as possible for aesthetic reasons.

:thumbsup:

Reply to Grout line thickness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, after tiling the kitchen area I did grouting but I am not happy with the results. The grout lines are too bright, almost white. Although I used almost dry sponge to wipe off the excess...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
I have the old stock no more ply down unprimed. (Their new stock comes pre-primed). Mapei suggested using Primer G before tiling with keraflex maxi s1. They did not recommend using SBR for some...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.