Search the forum,

Discuss granfix CFTA for calibrated slate tiles ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

simonjay

Hi, I'm new on this forum.

Will be laying 25m^2 area with 600x400mm calibrated 10mm thick brazilian black slate onto dry sand/cement screed.
Basic adhesive depth to be 5mm (10mm notched trowl), some areas will need packing up an extra 4mm if I lay to a spirit level.
On that basis, a suitable adhesive, available at good non-trade prices seems to be:
Granfix CFTA 1pt Flexi Grey Floor/Wall Tile Adhesive (24hr)

This is available for less and 16 quid online. I believe it is not "cheap and nasty".
Is this likely to be OK for laying the calibrated slate tiles mentioned above ?

Why is it so much cheaper than other adhesives (without proving your are "trade" perhaps) ?
For example, BAL rapidset for 40 quid and BAL natural stone at 50 quid (eyes water) from topps tiles.

Thanks,
Simon.

S

simonjay

Or Granfix rapidset flexible, which I have found for *******
Simon.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

swanman

I use granfix flexible its ********* trade which is cheap

T

Time's Ran Out

You don't need a flexible adhesive for slate onto a sand/cement screed so you may find it cheaper again. But at the prices quoted the flexible may be worth the cost if your area is subject to large heat differentials
I don't use Granfix for any other reason than availability and being used to another brand.
Collate your thickness of the tiles prior to fixing and start with the thickest, and don't expect the calibrations to be too accurate.
Other brands no doubt have larger technical and support back up and often offer a 25 year guarantee!

Welcome to the Tilers Forum and don't forget to post some pictures.

Note - as this member is not trade he has been quoted a very reasonable price for his adhesive. I would assume it was not relevant to quote any trade prices in this forum.

P

Perry

(eyes water) from topps tiles. yes i would try any other tile shop in the uk it will be cheaper try your local tile shop

M

Mike

Hi, I'm new on this forum.

Will be laying 25m^2 area with 600x400mm calibrated 10mm thick brazilian black slate onto dry sand/cement screed.
Basic adhesive depth to be 5mm (10mm notched trowl), some areas will need packing up an extra 4mm if I lay to a spirit level.
On that basis, a suitable adhesive, available at good non-trade prices seems to be:
Granfix CFTA 1pt Flexi Grey Floor/Wall Tile Adhesive (24hr)

This is available for less and 16 quid online. I believe it is not "cheap and nasty".
Is this likely to be OK for laying the calibrated slate tiles mentioned above ?

Why is it so much cheaper than other adhesives (without proving your are "trade" perhaps) ?
For example, BAL rapidset for 40 quid and BAL natural stone at 50 quid (eyes water) from topps tiles.

Thanks,
Simon.

If you can open a trade account at topps you can get toppfix made by palace for *** a bag

tapatalk on my HTC

T

Time's Ran Out

The prices being quoted in this post are really going to help the next time I have to go out and estimate a job.
Perhaps we should just have a post dedicated to trade prices from adhesive to trim and all letters in between so the customer can work out his own costings and the best place to purchase them!

Reply to granfix CFTA for calibrated slate tiles ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen