Search the forum,

Discuss glass mosaic sheets in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

starman

hi guys ,I've just joined up and need help!
as a kitchen fitter i generally tile the slash backs ,but on this occasion I've been caught out as the client has supplied glass mosaic sheets approx 3mm thick (or thin).the existing 8x4 ceramic tiles are still on the wall,can i tile onto them with the mosaic sheets? because removing the old tiles would definitely cause plaster damage,and i would guess that to lay these sheets i would have to have perfect walls and my plastering skills are limited to rough bonding only.the client has supplied bal mosaic fix adhesive and grout .i would appreseate any advice given,many thanks.....
starman:8:

D

DHTiling

Hi starman and welcome to tilers forums.

It can be done..but need to know what finish the existing tiles are....matt or gloss..

And when you say adhesive and grout....it isn;t as all in one is it.?

S

starman

hello dave ,
from memory the existing tiles are glazed so would assume they have a gloss finish,they have also been on the walls a good few years judging by the pattern and the grout and adhesive are separate.
many thanks starman...

D

DHTiling

You can tile over them if they are well fixed...you will need your judgment to decide that...

wash the tiles down with sugar soap to make sure they are degreased and clean...

The adhesive you have is fine for mosaics over glazed tiles.

just another quick question ....which grout is it...? because the mosaics are glass you will need a modified grout..

M

medlar

if the original tiles are well fixed to the walls,wash them down with a degreaser or sugar soap,make sure they are thoroughly dry then tile over them mate

Jimmy

D

DHTiling

The only thing to think about is any exposed edges.....where you will see the old tiles as well....worth thinking about...

S

starman

i will check the grout on monday but i think it is bal micro ban white..once again ,thanks for the quick reply ..

D

DHTiling

No probs...The microban is just the technology for inhibiting mould growth...as long as it is the flex one then no probs...

good luck....post us a few pics of the finshed job..

Reply to glass mosaic sheets in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen