Search the forum,

Discuss glass block installation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brian c

Ihave been asked by a client if i can build a wall from the glass blocks and fit shower tray.Shower tray is not the problem its the titting of the blocks....here is the scenario and see if any of you can help me out with advice or pitfalls...cheers.

ok ,so the substrate is chipboard floor,question is can a wall be built from the blocks onto this?I was thinking of weight bearing down on the floor so thought that extra noggings be put in the floor where the wall will be..say every 150mm.Any ideas guys and gals...its an upper floor bathroom.

regards Bri

D

DHTiling

Ihave been asked by a client if i can build a wall from the glass blocks and fit shower tray.Shower tray is not the problem its the titting of the blocks....here is the scenario and see if any of you can help me out with advice or pitfalls...cheers.

ok ,so the substrate is chipboard floor,question is can a wall be built from the blocks onto this?I was thinking of weight bearing down on the floor so thought that extra noggings be put in the floor where the wall will be..say every 150mm.Any ideas guys and gals...its an upper floor bathroom.

regards Bri

explain that bri...:lol:.

D

DHTiling

If you can make sure the floor is solid bri ...i wouldn't sit it on chipboard though...can you not installed a cement board..?..

B

brian c

see now we are talking thats what i mean Dave,might be a learning curve here that i price wrong as he is looking for reasonable shower trays and enclosures and cant find any to suit his budget.Cheers anyway m8,thats another spanner in the works...lol

D

DHTiling

spanner why mate...?..

you can do it no probs....as usual , just the correct prep work first...

W

White Room

You can use a frame system which might be better Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

As the pdf sez......

A glass block panel should never be freestanding.
Ideally for best integral strength - fitted into 4 sides.To secure
panel into opening using Easifix, stainless steel anchor brackets
and horizontal Easifix spacer, every row acts as reinforcement.

but not the easiest method without the correct gear or strengthening to the floor..a lot of weight in glass blocks if no joist underneath..

B

brian c

been on that site whitebeam ,looks pretty esy dont you think?just the weight bearing down on the floor that i think will be the problem but as Dave said the correct prep then away we go.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
As i see it, for what its worth, it's ok saying to nog out the boards but what are going to fix to ? Are you dependant on 'just' fixing to joists, if so, maybe joist hangers ? Also, and along the same lines, is there a supporting wall under the floor space or is it open ceiling ? And last, the weight of blocks, addy and amount of water that they would carry if all were to be wet at the same time, a bit like diversity factor, what is the max weight possible, against the max safe weight permissible, is what I'm trying to say I guess.

Last edited:

Reply to glass block installation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen