Currently reading:
Found myself back at the tiling!

Discuss Found myself back at the tiling! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gavin Robinson

Hi
Thankfully I have not been asked to do a lot of major tiling! Now have a job in a bathroom using 120cm by 60cm by 1cm thick porcelain tiles.The size and the adherence does not put me off but I will have to cut some of the tiles lengthways - I could do with angle grinder but wondered if there was a tile cutter able to do the job which came with positive recommendation? Many thanks.
Gavin

G

Gavin Robinson

I don’t think a hire shop will have that cutter unfortunately. Maybe a local Tiler contact might lend One? Ply isn’t the best choice for the walls !
Usually don't have much contact with guys in the tiling trade but will ask friends who might know friends who are tilers. As a chippy I like wood but realise that ply is not the preferred base to tile onto - it is already there and I have examined the stud walls the sheets are attached to - well studded, well secured and well prepared.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I get why you like ply.... Your a chippy.
But from my experience I can't help but notice every builder seems to have a love affair with ply.....
I've lost count of the shower areas I've looked at that have been prepped using ply, instead of a more suitable water resistant board.
Why on earth would you use wood in a wet area, even if it is already there I would be replacing it...

T

Time's Ran Out

The substrata is 18 mm marine ply well secured to partition wall by screwnails at regular intervals coated with Bal sealer and two coats of "tanking" / WP1.

There are issues with the movement of wood no matter how well fixed - even 18mm plywood.
Then you've got a paint on tanking layer which is required to hold the weight of 1200x600x10mm tiles!
Ring BAL technical and see if they would guarantee this installation.

G

Gavin Robinson

Hi Gavin, it’s bad enough that the substrate is ply but to have it secured with screw nails instead of screws is a big risk also.
Locally we used / use the word "screwnails" for screws before there were such things as "threaded nails". The ply is attached with screws. Thinking that maybe this is a job - removing ply and or installing wedi board - that someone else can do.

G

Gavin Robinson

This is why I stick to tiling and not orthopedic surgery.
I stick to things I feel competent at which usually but not always involves wood as the material.I am not a tiler but know how to tile competently in the normal tile range of sizes but the large format of the tiles in this job is the reason for seeking advice. I think you are suggesting I stick with joinery/ carpentery in this case.

G

Gavin Robinson

There are issues with the movement of wood no matter how well fixed - even 18mm plywood.
Then you've got a paint on tanking layer which is required to hold the weight of 1200x600x10mm tiles!
Ring BAL technical and see if they would guarantee this installation.

This is a Bal overview statement about one of their products -:

BAL Rapid-Flex Fibre Plus is a non-slip cementitious tile adhesive for walls and floors formulated with BAL Fibre Strand Technology (FST) for improved flexibility, strength and grab. Fast-setting in three hours, it provides extended open time of 30 minutes and pot life of 60 minutes, and is formulated for easier mixing and application. A high polymer content allows for tiling direct onto plywood walls, while it is recommended for large format tiles, areas of total immersion, limited movement and heated screeds.

Their tech spec indicates
Use for

•  Fixing ceramics, porcelain and vitrified tiles, mosaics, most natural stone, terrazzo, rigid foam insulating materials and brick slips in dry or wet interior and exterior environments.

•  Recommended for large format wall tiles, areas of total immersion in water e.g. swimming pools and showers.

•  Installations subject to limited movement and vibration.

•  Heated screeds.

•  Recommended for plywood walls.

G

Gavin Robinson

Yes as you dont sound competent. And you may find yourself in trouble later down the line. I do not wish that with any tradesman. Even a chippy. But if you go ahead listen to everyone who's trying to help.
Sounding not competent when considering a job beyond my normal range is,I would have thought,a sign of competence and hence why I seek advice from professional tilers such as your good self.Even a chippy is prepared to listen to everyone with more experience in these matters!

Reply to Found myself back at the tiling! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement