Search the forum,

Discuss First job booked - Help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Turkish

Hi guys,

Got my first job booked today, seems a fairly easy one to start with but just wanted to check something before I start it next week:

The bathroom is half tiled already with 300 x 200 ceramics which appear to be set onto plasterboard. The plasterboard has been painted and on the whole the paint seems sound however:

1) Along two of the vertical joins in the wall there is some flaking, no sign of water damage though. I put some gaffer tape on these flaking areas and it took the paint straight off, I also put some tape on the main areas of the wall and that seemed ok.Am I ok to just sand these flaking areas down and then score the rest of the wall with a knife and then prime? Wire brushing it is out I suppose cos surely it would just rip up the surface of the plasterboard?

I`m sure there was something else I wanted to ask but can`t think of it at the moment so any advice on this for now would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Turkish.

D

DHTiling

Yes !! just sand it so the primer will penetrate...as long as the paint is sound then no probs......

T

Turkish

Thanks Dave yet again! I have now thought of the other things I wanted to check on, One of the wall areas measures 45 x 82 inches but there is a window in it which measures 33 x 45 and is recessed 7 inches. How do I work out the amount of tiles required for this? Also I know it`s best to leave them 24 hours prior to grouting but if absolutely necessary could I do it safely at the end of the day?

Cheers again

D

DHTiling

Just measure the wall as if the window wasn't there if you see wot i mean.....

T

Turkish

Cheers Brian, I`m gonna play safe as it`s my first job and go back next day:yes:

T

Turkish

Hey Fekin, Getting loads of great help and advice on here. Whoever thought of this deserves a bloomin great pat on the back!! Great for us newbies!!

Reply to First job booked - Help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen