Search the forum,

Discuss Exterior, Limestone on PT Wood Post. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hello,

First post here on the forum. Thanks for reading!

I have an application for 1" limestone at 14" x 3 1/2" on an exterior Pressure treated post which is buried into the grade and sitting on a deep level wood piling. The post will finished on all 4 sides. Just the bottom 2 feet. Above the 2 foot level it is wrapped with PVC trim.

The 8x8 pressure treated post will be furred out on some sides to make it even all around with the top Azek wrap. The corners of the limestone will be mitered with a water table stone that sits at the top of the courses and tucks under the PVC.

My question is about the best substrate and thinset for this application. We get freezes down to the teens in our coastal area of New Jersey. With movement in the wood post, along with humidity and possible water infiltration behind the assembly, I'm thinking I need an decoupling layer to avoid the corners opening up.

Should I use Durock screwed to the post on 4 sides with house wrap or other vapor barrier behind it?
- Should corners be sealed on the durock
- Best thinset for 14x3 1/2 x 1" limestone on Durock

Or,

Would an uncoupling membrane like Ditra over pressure 1/2" treated plywood be a better choice?
-Kerdi band to seal the corners?
- what would be the best thinset over Ditra for this application.

Thanks for your feedback,
Chew

Reply to Exterior, Limestone on PT Wood Post. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen