Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion Joint Help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dave Ramsden

OK Guys, 207m sq floor, 405x405mm tile and epoxy resin grout in a food hygiene area.... How often should expansion joints be used and is there a specified joint that should be used?

Contractor specifies expansion joint around perimeter of floor to skirting tile only but are coming back to me for additional info. Im almost 100% sure they should be every 3m sq..

Any comments?

T

TilingLogistics

Firstly, please don't take the opinion I am offering in the wrong way! Because frankly I don't know how much experience you have so if this post comes across as "don't teach me to suck eggs" I am sorry!

I am surprised that the contractor has not sorted it! I don't know what sort of building its in but be careful! There could be DDA Regs to meet as well.

Expansion joints should be every 10 Metres but depending on the way the substrate is laid normally determines which way the expansion joints run. In addition extra EJ's may be needed in Door thresholds or around pillars etc.

My advice is be very careful about offering any advice in a commercial installation unless you know exactly what you are doing!!!

Let the contractor or architect specify it:thumbsup:

Kev

D

Dave Ramsden

Firstly, thanks for the advice!
I do have plenty of experience but I would have said it is up to the main contractor to sort this stuff out. They seem to be off-loading alot on me for this job so I shall call them today and tell them to consult the architect.

Whenever Ive been involved with EJ's before they have been laid as you advise above.

Thanks again :grin:

G

GazTech

Movement joints in the floor tiling should be incorporated as outlined in British Standard BS 5385: Part 3:1989:Clauses 19 and 23.6. Briefly, this document requires that joints be located
a. Over existing and/or structural movement joints.
b. Around the perimeter of the floor and where tiling abuts columns, curbs, steps and plant fixed to the base.
c. In large floor areas tiles should be divided into bays at 8-10m intervals.

On suspended floors the bay size should be reduced and additional joints provided over supporting walls or beams......Gaz

W

wetdec

Quote BS

Intermediate joints
The need for intermediate joints between perimeter joints depends on the dimensions of the floor; for example, with the exception of those on suspended construction, in floors with less than 10m between perimeter joints no intermediate joints are necessary but in larger floors divide the area into bays of size not greater than 10 m × 10 m.
You will need to observe existing joints here

For floors, which might be subjected to significant thermal changes, i.e. direct sunlight in atria, or underfloor heating, etc., the floor area
should be divided up by movement joints into bays of size not greater than 40 m2 with an edge length not greater than 8 m.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

top tiler

dave is it a screed or power floated slab but as gaz says your joints go over existing joints in th floor or if it does not have any it can be to a max 10m if you have a sit on cove cut the floor tile back from the wall approx 10mm this will give you an expansion from the wall .if it is a sit in cove then you can get a preformed joint or use a mastic man this should be specified or what have you priced for?

D

Dave Ramsden

I didnt see any last visit but it wasnt top of my priority list at the time. I have since replied to the contractor suggesting most of the above information and recieved no reply. I suppose everyone is busy on a friday.

Thankyou for all your response though and its has all been noted.

Im going to tell them to consult the architect therefore voiding any responsibility lol

Reply to Expansion Joint Help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen