Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

spanky

If you could tell me a "governing" body that actually cares, or can actually do anything then I'm all ears.

I've spent most of today talking to the Tile Federation, Trading Standards, Local Building Control, CAB etc.

They all like to talk, none want to do anything accept tell me to sue them after I send them a letter telling them x y & z.

It seems in this world that tile has to fall off and kill one of my kids before any action is taken.

I am awaiting a chartered Surveyor to come on Monday to tell me the bare honest truth if I can claim any monies already paid and the cost of the tiles back from the contractor.

Who I might add is still sticking to the "It'll be allright" methodology.

Sad really

C

CLAYS TILES

If you could tell me a "governing" body that actually cares, or can actually do anything then I'm all ears.

I've spent most of today talking to the Tile Federation, Trading Standards, Local Building Control, CAB etc.

They all like to talk, none want to do anything accept tell me to sue them after I send them a letter telling them x y & z.

It seems in this world that tile has to fall off and kill one of my kids before any action is taken.

I am awaiting a chartered Surveyor to come on Monday to tell me the bare honest truth if I can claim any monies already paid and the cost of the tiles back from the contractor.

Who I might add is still sticking to the "It'll be allright" methodology.

Sad really
good luck for monday!:thumbsup:

S

Spud

i have just spent 15 minutes reading the posts about this subject and i have to agree with grumpy on this ,if done correctly dot and dabbing tiles is a good method of fixing tiles but i stress most clearly you must know what you are doing .bs 5385 covers the installation of floor and wall tiles and specifies best practice for the installation of the tiles and the reason why adhesive manufactures dont recommend dot and dabbing is most adhesives arent recommended to be used more than 12mm thick. lets be clear adhesive has only been around for 30-40 years before that every tile was fitted using sand and cement mortar beds if any one has ever tried to remove a tile fitted this way you will know that its the best way of fitting tiles due to the 100% coverage and the unbeleivble bond strength of the mortar no additives just opc and sand .if done correctly and you achieve 100% coverage dot and dabbing and you slide you tiles to open the adhesive and dont bed out more than 11mm you will achieve the same results from the adhesive as combing it on with a serrated trowel more importantly i would be more concerned on how the adhesive was mixed than how it was applied ,adhesive must be mechanically mixed with a drill and whisk, the walls must be sound and free of friable material and the adhesive must be applied to the wall with a trowel .the problem is the tiler you have just put a few dots on has not got the coverage required and didnt trowel it on to the wall and you have an un safe installation this wont help clearing up this post ,i just thought that grumpy has been unfairly treated and good luck to him for having experience and not just reading technical books and spouting bs, british standards that is lol

D

DHTiling

Back buttering tiles gary and getting a good coverage is all fine but dot and dabbing isnt that is it....dot and dab is spot fixing and that is totally different to back buttering and getting a solid fix........i have fixed in sand and cement and always solid bed fixed as you say and it is a very solid fix.....but spot fixing as this tiler has is not the best method you must agree......

S

Spud

Back buttering tiles gary and getting a good coverage is all fine but dot and dabbing isnt that is it....dot and dab is spot fixing and that is totally different to back buttering and getting a solid fix........i have fixed in sand and cement and always solid bed fixed as you say and it is a very solid fix.....but spot fixing as this tiler has is not the best method you must agree......
completely agree but grumpy got a really hard time about this and the word cowboy was used when you work with large format stone this is extensively spot fixed and dot and dabbed as the pictures from lisbon show where copper wire pins were used ,copper wire pins arent used here these days we use stainless wire up to first storey height and proper fixings above that i think spankys travertine in his original post were poorly fixed however if he had shown a tile with 95-100% coverage i would have a think differenly the bottom line is he has got himself a lazy fixer who hasnt moved with the times opinion

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
i have just spent 15 minutes reading the posts about this subject and i have to agree with grumpy on this ,if done correctly dot and dabbing tiles is a good method of fixing tiles but i stress most clearly you must know what you are doing .bs 5385 covers the installation of floor and wall tiles and specifies best practice for the installation of the tiles and the reason why adhesive manufactures dont recommend dot and dabbing is most adhesives arent recommended to be used more than 12mm thick. lets be clear adhesive has only been around for 30-40 years before that every tile was fitted using sand and cement mortar beds if any one has ever tried to remove a tile fitted this way you will know that its the best way of fitting tiles due to the 100% coverage and the unbeleivble bond strength of the mortar no additives just opc and sand .if done correctly and you achieve 100% coverage dot and dabbing and you slide you tiles to open the adhesive and dont bed out more than 11mm you will achieve the same results from the adhesive as combing it on with a serrated trowel more importantly i would be more concerned on how the adhesive was mixed than how it was applied ,adhesive must be mechanically mixed with a drill and whisk, the walls must be sound and free of friable material and the adhesive must be applied to the wall with a trowel .the problem is the tiler you have just put a few dots on has not got the coverage required and didnt trowel it on to the wall and you have an un safe installation this wont help clearing up this post ,i just thought that grumpy has been unfairly treated and good luck to him for having experience and not just reading technical books and spouting bs, british standards that is lol

Ooooo

We just want to know if it's a good job. Is (was) it?

B

brian c

sometimes you cant change the minds of some older tilers,but hey he is entitled to his opinion but i dont agree with it either and i would never spot fix a tile of this weight on walls in that mess,the walls should have been sorted out at the beginning of the job imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

sometimes you cant change the minds of some older tilers,but hey he is entitled to his opinion but i dont agree with it either and i would never spot fix a tile of this weight on walls in that mess,the walls should have been sorted out at the beginning of the job imo.
I agree with you Bri, the floor is a bit suspect now after the angle grinder has been at it too!

B

brian c

what about the dust from using the grinder,the babies are in the house ffs.K N O B H E A D.

He probably couldnt be arsed going outside to cut the tiles.Just a shabby job.This thread is RED HOT though.I wonder if any manufacturers will see this and respond.

P

pjtiler

this old tilers opinions are formed from 45 years experience not from books or supa dupa tiling schools
PS i did mention the weight factor

S

spanky

1 Manufacturer has stated they will happily put their thoughts in writing. And clearly state how their adhesive should be applied.

It is stated on the packet too funnily enough.

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks