Discuss Does anyone bulk up SLC with sand? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

John the tile

Hello,

An idea was run past me today, with regards to making up a kitchen floor 20mm depth using slc. They said to bulk it out with sand?

I wondered if it was acceptable to do? If so what kind of ratios are we talking?

Thanks

M

Mike

it'll say on the bag what ratios to mix. i've used slc with sand but i didn't get a quality finish like normal. a lot of trowelling involved

W

White Room

I have many years ago before the slc became able to take deep fills..the trouble is sand tends to sink to the bottom of the bucket so you need to keep turning it over to make sure that it remains thru the mix.

I would personally use a slc able to take that thickness...I have read the posts you have made on this subject and feel you are trying to do it as cheap as chips..believe me there is no cheap way to do prep work, you do it right the first time and it will last a life time...cut corners and it will come back and bite you badly.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There are loads of levellers that can go to 20 mm these days. However most can be bulked out with sand. You need to make sure it is clean sand though cos some sands will affect the polymer chemistry and change the setting. Also thy are not likely to be self smoothing because if you mix them up to the same consistency as unbulked compound they will segregate and the sand will drop out of suspension

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If it's only 20mm I'd use a SLC that can be laid to that depth. If it was over 20mm then I put chippings in(It's a lot cheaper). The only place I can ever find them though is wholesale flooring companies, I've never found a tile shop that stocks them.

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

eEERM... NO
It firstly then ceases to be self levelling compound... secondly I would buy a self leveller that is suitable for that depth, there are plenty out there

D

DHTiling

Some of the older SLC's were bulk'able with small chippings (not sand) but technology has moved on and fibre enhanced SLC's as mentioned above can go a lot deeper than they older SLC's used to even with chippings..

I

Ian

Granite chippings can be used, the only benefit, in my opinion, is to cut costs. As already mentioned, plenty of products out there now to do the job without adding anything to them.

Sent from iPhone using tapatalk

A

Aston

as above, slc's have moved on and improved vastly over the past few years so no need to add aggregates now.

Reply to Does anyone bulk up SLC with sand? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay