Search the forum,

Discuss DIY PROJECT - granite tiling 8sm in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Z

zygo

I've picked up loads of wisdom here from the sages of tiling to rewrite a DIY Schedule of Works and would welcome any criticism, suggestions or alternative views from anyone before I start. I will donate THANKS to everyone responding.

PROJECT - to tile the concrete floor of a garage conversion using granite

ROOM: 3.4M by 2.4M. (about 8 square metres). No skirting. Not exactly square. New sub-floor of 80mm deep sand/cement laid 3 months ago over 80mm Celcon which was laid on new DP Membrane placed over original dry concrete floor (never damp in 25 yrs). It will require 96 tiles or part tiles (12 x 8)
ME: Fussy, decent DIY skills but never laid floor tiles. I’m working alone.
TILES: Polished granite 305x305x10 (Absolute black), 2mm bevel edge.
SPACERS: I'd appreciate any suggestions on what gaps I should leave between tiles as I have not yet bought the spacers :huh2:

PRIMER/SEALANT: 1 litre of BAL BOND SBR - Styrene Rubber Butadiene (Anyone know a stockist in Essex?:huh2:), diluted with 4 litres water.
SCREED: (Self-levelling) open to suggestions ..........:huh2:
ADHESIVE: Mapei Keraquick grey from Screwfix at £6.89/5kg (I'm told I'll need EIGHT packs OK?:huh2:)
GROUT: Mapei Ultracolour Plus in Black (or Anthracite?) at £10.99/5kgs (How many?:huh2:)

DAY ONE:
1. Sweep and vacuum sub floor.
2. Seal it with SBR, (starting in the furthest corner from the door )
3. Leave to dry – one hour. Breakfast.
4. Within 24 hours of applying SBR, pour self-levelling screed, spreading with a steel float.
5. Leave to go off – overnight. Allow some ventilation.

DAY TWO:
6. Find centre of each wall and pop a chalk line to divide the floor into quadrants (each 2 sm).
7. Mix enough adhesive to cover 2 sm.
8. Apply to quadrant 1 (further from door) and spread with 10mm square notched trowel (£6.99 Screwfix).
9. Using cross spacers, lay first 15 tiles, starting at centre where lines cross (if I can still see them under the adhesive!).
10 Check with level for even laying
11 Measure and cut the 9 wall-edge tiles on wet saw, and lay them, checking against the rest with a level. Remove excess addy from between tiles.
Stop for tea.
12 Repeat steps 7 to 11 in quadrant 2 (next furthest from door)
Stop for the day

DAY THREE:
13 Repeat steps 7 to 11 in quadrant 3 (next furthest from door)
Stop for tea
14 Repeat steps 7 to 11 in quadrant 4, cutting round doorway.
Leave 48 hours.

DAY FIVE:
15 Grout the joints (wearing gloves!) Any special technique to use?:huh2:

Thanks will be given for all input, as usual. If you should know of any good video to download, that would be great but I'd especially appreciate some guidance on quantities of adhesive and grout required and what the 'standard' grout gap is between 12 inch floor tiles. My spirit level is about 36 inches. A 6 ft one would be better but is is ESSENTIAL?

Many thanks.
Z

Last edited by a moderator:
P

penno

Will post more later in a rush atm,
For adhesive mate work off around 4-5 sqm per 20kg

Z

zygo

Thanks, penno. For eight metres, I'll be needing 8 packs then (8x5 = 40kgs). Is it the same if I get tubs of readymix or bags of powdered?
Z

W

wetdec

I've picked up loads of wisdom here from the sages of tiling to rewrite a DIY Schedule of Works and would welcome any criticism, suggestions or alternative views from anyone before I start. I will donate THANKS to everyone responding.

PROJECT - to tile the concrete floor of a garage conversion using granite

ROOM: 3.4M by 2.4M. (about 8 square metres). No skirting. Not exactly square. New sub-floor of 80mm deep sand/cement laid 3 months ago over 80mm Celcon which was laid on new DP Membrane placed over original dry concrete floor (never damp in 25 yrs). It will require 96 tiles or part tiles (12 x 8)
ME: Fussy, decent DIY skills but never laid floor tiles. I’m working alone.
TILES: Polished granite 305x305x10 (Absolute black), 2mm bevel edge.
SPACERS: I'd appreciate any suggestions on what gaps I should leave between tiles as I have not yet bought the spacers :huh2:
3mm
PRIMER/SEALANT: 1 litre of BAL BOND SBR - Styrene Rubber Butadiene (Anyone know a stockist in Essex?:huh2:), diluted with 4 litres water.
As it says on the drum
SCREED: (Self-levelling) open to suggestions ..........:huh2:
Any (latex not required)

ADHESIVE: Mapei Keraquick grey from Screwfix at £6.89/5kg (I'm told I'll need EIGHT packs OK?:huh2:)
Go to your local tile supplyer dont be fiddling with screwfix you will need 2x20kg normal (not fast set)flex GREY

GROUT: Mapei Ultracolour Plus in Black (or Anthracite?) at £10.99/5kgs (How many?:huh2:) Again find a local supplyer start with 1

DAY ONE:
1. Sweep and vacuum sub floor.
2. Seal it with SBR, (starting in the furthest corner from the door )
3. Leave to dry – one hour. Breakfast.
4. Within 24 hours of applying SBR, pour self-levelling screed, spreading with a steel float.
5. Leave to go off – overnight. Allow some ventilation.

DAY TWO:
6. Find centre of each wall and pop a chalk line to divide the floor into quadrants (each 2 sm).

Now you have the centre of ur room
Now flip (starting corner on your line)your tile corner to corner from your centre point to the wall, if the tile arrives and you have a narrow cut do it again this time starting with middle of tile on line. Doing this will give you good cuts that allow for wall run out and save you granite (poss get 2 cuts out of 1 tile). Do this in both directions

7. Mix enough adhesive to cover 2 sm.
8. Apply to quadrant 1 (further from door) and spread with 10mm square notched trowel (£6.99 Screwfix).
9. Using cross spacers, lay first 15 tiles, starting at centre where lines cross (if I can still see them under the adhesive!).
10 Check with level for even laying leave level in shop or there will be no tea, you want no lippage that is suficient
11 Measure and cut the 9 wall-edge tiles on wet saw, and lay them, checking against the rest with a level. Remove excess addy from between tiles.
Stop for tea.
12 Repeat steps 7 to 11 in quadrant 2 (next furthest from door)
Stop for the day

DAY THREE:
13 Repeat steps 7 to 11 in quadrant 3 (next furthest from door)
Stop for tea
14 Repeat steps 7 to 11 in quadrant 4, cutting round doorway.
Leave 48 hours.

DAY FIVE: 3 days later (you got a lot of moisture under there now it could patch if you dont leave it)
15 Grout the joints (wearing gloves!) Any special technique to use?:huh2:

grout float

Thanks will be given for all input, as usual. If you should know of any good video to download, that would be great but I'd especially appreciate some guidance on quantities of adhesive and grout required and what the 'standard' grout gap is between 12 inch floor tiles. My spirit level is about 36 inches. A 6 ft one would be better to hold the door closed but is is ESSENTIAL?

Many thanks.
Z

Thanks, penno. For eight metres, I'll be needing 8 packs then (8x5 = 40kgs). Is it the same if I get tubs of readymix or bags of powdered? Second post in your other thread
Z

This should help

tiler

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zygo

Fantastic, thanks for all that. I see you don't put much store by using a level - it's just all done by 'feel' then - running your finger along the joints to make sure that each tile is the same height as the one next to it?
I understand your point about moving the centre line - in fact it comes out pretty well with a bit more than half a tile against all four walls. The only possible adjustment is for the door way - double French doors, with a reveal of about 5 inches.
I know its a matter of personal choice but do you usually encourage your customers to go for black grout with black tiles, or anthracite, or grey ....... or pink perhaps??? :lol:

Z

Z

zygo

So black grout then. Good. Gets everywhere I understand. Better buy some extra.
Useful comment, thanks wetdecs.
z

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Fantastic, thanks for all that. I see you don't put much store by using a level - it's just all done by 'feel' then - running your finger along the joints to make sure that each tile is the same height as the one next to it?
I understand your point about moving the centre line - in fact it comes out pretty well with a bit more than half a tile against all four walls. The only possible adjustment is for the door way - double French doors, with a reveal of about 5 inches.
I know its a matter of personal choice but do you usually encourage your customers to go for black grout with black tiles, or anthracite, or grey ....... or pink perhaps??? :lol:

Z
i prefer anthracite to black but it is personal choice as you say, mapei do a colour chart..

Reply to DIY PROJECT - granite tiling 8sm in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen