• Thread starter advancetiling
  • Start date
  • Replies 25
  • Views 5K
  • usa
Search the forum,

Discuss dispute in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jay

depends on the case whats the claim for!!!!!!
better prep work would of helped but you dont have w/p rules over there but chipboard is bad if it gets wet and even a job done right will fail on that stuff

Del W

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Every fault you find in your report I would back it up with a cut and paste job from either British Standards (i.e. acceptable levels of lipping, overboarding requirements) and/or some text from say the adhesive manfacturers (i.e. their recommendations of the application of adhesive... maximum depth of adhesive... primers to be used...). State the facts clearly backed up with a ton of photos highlighting each problem
:thumbsup:

S

Scott

All you need to do is compile a report that the installation is not to BS5385, do not assume anything that he might have done could have caused this and that if you have no proof.. simply base the report of how it should have been fixed and that the method used would result in a failure..

You might be asked what qualifies you to do a report though..

Id point them to the forum and show them my big fat shiny green badge! :O

C

Colour Republic

I don't think the OP has a nice shiny green badge..:)

Neither do you:prrr: Admin are just here to keep the place tidy and do the general house keeping

Joke! joke! step away from the big bad button:yikes:

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

Porky_Pig__That__s_All_Folks_by_AngryDogDesigns.png

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Surely if grout down the sink caused a flood then the u bend and waste will be caked in grout.

O

Olz

No offence but if your having to ask on the forum about anything else, then you shouldnt be putting it in a report, escpecially considering that the tiler appears to have had a report of his own done too and you dont know who did it or there qualifications.

If your called to court, which i would say is highley likley as there is a counter report to yours then your going to be asked every detail about what you put in your report and why it differs to the report the other person has produced. If you come across as being unsure because its not something youve picked up on yourself then your going to do more harm than good for the customer.

I would also reccommend that you take photographs of any defects you've highlighted in your report as memory aids for the court day and that you copy and paste the relevant BS extracts into your report as well so that its there infront of you as you go through your report infront of the judge. You want to have all the information that your going to present in front of you, without having to reffer to books or guides, the best way to do this is to copy and paste into your report.

Also on the day remember that although judges will probably have heard thousands of cases like this, there not tilers or builders, so photographs that you can show illustrating whats wrong really help to make your point. If you can convince the judge that you are more credible that the other sides 'expert' then you have 2/3rds of the battle won.

I would make the opening paragraph on your report along the lines of "I have worked as a domestic and commercial tiler for x years, i learnt the trade by working as an apprentice for x years / at x college...etc etc. I have completed X amount of installations including domestic bathrooms, kitchens, blah blah blah. In x years I have had X callbacks or failures. I have been called X times to asses and correct faulty installations. I have the following proffesional qualifications blah blah blah, basically setting out your history and why your qualified / able to provide the report in the first place. This will make you look very proffesional. Also the more information you give the less questions will be asked of you meaning there will be less chance of you being asked a question you dont know the answer to. If you start having to say "I dont know" your credibilty will drop rapidly. The builder or his solicitor will be trying to attack your credibilty because they know full well this is the easiest way to get the judge to side with them.

I hope thats helpfull.

Reply to dispute in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen