Search the forum,

Discuss Difference in Forums in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Andrew Case

Hi All

I've just been surfing the net, and reading the Plastering Forum. I'm not sure if its related to this one in anyway?!

Anyway, when i came on here several weeks back, i asked about intensive courses, advice on starting out, career change etc.
I got nothing but helpful advice, a nice welcome, i've participated where possible to posts.

The plastering forum also has a section about training. As i want to plaster also at some point, i read with interest the posts in that section. The atmosphere could not be more different.
They are negative, sarcastic, down right rude.
When asked about courses, all they do is laugh at you, ridicule, tell you no one can plaster without an apprenticeship. I really think they are bitter that they had to do years of training.

Its put me off training as a plasterer, even though i was going to do it as a sideline to help the tiling.
This forum is really helpful and i dont get the feeling that anyone is laughing at you.

just my thoughts on it

G

Gazzer

Some people pick things up quicker than others. I have no idea how long it would take me to be able to board and skim a wall but I would imagine a weeks course would set me on the right track as I have done the boarding for many years. Skimming I can do to a certain standard but not one that i would be happy charging for.
Its all a big learning curve and even after your course you will find that your 1st job is nothing like the course. I think its a good starter though.

A

Andrew Case

Im realistic, just like the tiling training, that experience and time is whats needed. the course is just a starter. But the attitude of the guys on the plastering forum sucks.
Maybe they are scared of people becoming good and taking their work.

A

Andrew Case

See, this is proving my point entirely. People on here are reasonable, they understand that at 32 you cant get an apprenticeship and pay a mortgage etc. Give it a go, do your best. Always positive and you are right, everyone has to start somewhere, and if it doesn't work out then its down to a lack of effort on the persons part. Hard work, learning etc will contribute to success.
The plasterers dont see it that way. You get shot down in flames immediately.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Our plastering forum is plasteringforums.co.uk, the one I think you're talking about is plasterersforum.com owned by a guy named Danny Cutts. They allow swearing, trolling, they've been clocked on here winding up members before now. Not a professional outfit at all, just a plastering forum. They hate newbies as they think they're taking their work.

Our plasteringforums.co.uk never really took off I've never had the time to fully concentrate on it but I should soon have. Though I've been saying that for years.

A

Andrew Case

Hi Dan. Yes you are right. That's the one. Its a busy forum, but i have yet to find more than a couple of people that are decent. Their language is foul, and they definitely hate newbies. A total change from this forum. Its a credit to you and the other moderators.
i just think that if someone is aiming at a career change, and is decent enough to not rip people off. Someone who genuinely wants to learn and progress.....why treat them like poo? It knocks a persons confidence and makes them feel deflated. Its a shame your other forums havent taken off yet....but hopefully they will. Ive just signed up to the decorators one. I know its quiet but i hope it changes.

Reaction score
ANDREW i'am a member on that forum and there are good guys there as well, i don't abuse anyone , but as you say they do dish a bit of stick out which i must admit can be very funny some times, but they forget it is at someones expense , but then again plasterers can be mental i think its the job of continually troweling things (you loose your marbles ),funny enough i have recommended that forum to a young guy on site today, he confided in me that he had done a two year course !, but he was labouring today ,so i said to him go on there and offer himself as an improver ,but i said try and fine me on there so i could help him a bit , they soon leave you alone as soon as they realise you have forgotten more than the young know's have learned ,lol ........

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just had a decko at said forum Defies a bit of logic.

you can't learn to be a plasterer from a course, you need to be a plasterer to learn plastering..... WTF

As for newbies lacking a sense of humour..... Sense of decency and professional etiquette is what the some of the oldies seem to lack perhaps.

They could certainly learn a few things from people on this forum.

I can skim to a reasonable standard and I pretty much taught myself. My night time read was the readers digest DIY handbook and the marks and spencers big book of DIY 25 years ago. Till pick it up occasionally cos every day is a school day eh.. I have also spoken to lots of plasterers on site and received some tips and advice which have helped so at least they ain't all bad eh. Also I guess when you plaster the wall and it all falls off you tend to make sure you find out why cos another twenty bags of multi finish ain't cheap.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I have about 10 forums that need a lot more of my time and as soon as I'm able to commit, they'll have the time.

If you register on them, I'll send an email out when a few changes have been made to them and there is something to come check out.

A

Andrew Case

what was your user name there then ANDREW ? was it colo

Hi
No it was littlewinguk
I asked a question and got abuse and someone else asked a question and got abuse. Some may have been joking but the questions required answers not rip taking.
The vibe I got, particularly from "Spunky" was courses are rubbish, anyone taking them are stupid and wasting your money and the ONLY way to be a plaster was to invent a time machine, go back to when you were 16 and do an apprenticeship!
Not helpful or realistic. Unlike this forum.

Reaction score
well sorry to hear you got ,that sort of reply,mate ,if you have any questions on plastering and courses you can ask here , as there are several other plasterers on here,and i'am sure we will be able to answer your questions here, as best we can !......

A

Andrew Case

well sorry to hear you got ,that sort of reply,mate ,if you have any questions on plastering and courses you can ask here , as there are several other plasterers on here,and i'am sure we will be able to answer your questions here, as best we can !......

Cheers. I will do. I plan on plastering as a help for tiling.

Reply to Difference in Forums in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen