Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Delays due to lack of lorry drivers causing any delays in your work? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.

I keep reading news, hearing on radio and seeing on telly that the lack of lorry drivers is having more and more of an impact on our daily lives and wont stop any time soon. I was wondering if any of you guys and gals have felt this with suppliers running out of anything you use regularly?

Heard anything through the grapevine?

Started to stock up on basic things you use often to help get around this over Christmas etc?

Reaction score
A big yes, it is affecting the building industry for sure. Local markets as well, empty shelves at Tesco, etc. Keep voting Brexit!
1631008470847.png

1631008301054.png

Reaction score
All these people blaming Brexit 😂. There is a shortage of drivers all over Europe. Plus, my wife is a German national and it took her half an hour to apply online for indefinite leave to remain here and it was authorised pretty much immediately.

Reaction score
All these people blaming Brexit 😂. There is a shortage of drivers all over Europe. Plus, my wife is a German national and it took her half an hour to apply online for indefinite leave to remain here and it was authorised pretty much immediately.
With all due respect, I have never seen empty shelves in stores, Tesco, Builders Depot, BQ. Don't tell me it is not Brexit. The tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ alone went up a few £ due to Brexit. What are you talking about? Had you not voted Brexit your wife wouldn't have to apply for indefinite leave to remain, plain and simple. Brits from Spain that voted Brexit are being kicked out (deported) from Spain, EU etc. ''We did not know this would happen to us'' What did you expect? That's what Brexit was all about. Remember, you always get what you put into. Think twice before you Brexit react. So far you got nothing from Brexit but ''S**t on a stick'' admit it. No means to disrespect your vote choice. I assume you voted leave. Live with the consequences. Don't fight us for seeing what's happening, speaking the truth. We live in a Brexit era now. Labor shortages, empty shelves in stores and migrant spouses applying for ILR. Keep voting Brexit!

Last edited:

Anthony

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Pro
Reaction score
https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/’s gone up due to cement shortages. Hs2 to blame for that. The shop i use for https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ has gone from 24hr lead time on https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to 6 days in the space of a week. Instarmac use over a 1000 ton of cement a day. I think wagon drivers will be the least of our problems in the near future!

Reaction score
With all due respect, I have never seen empty shelves in stores, Tesco, Builders Depot, BQ. Don't tell me it is not Brexit. The tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ alone went up a few £ due to Brexit. What are you talking about? Had you not voted Brexit your wife wouldn't have to apply for indefinite leave to remain, plain and simple. Brits from Spain that voted Brexit are being kicked out (deported) from Spain, EU etc. ''We did not know this would happen to us'' What did you expect? That's what Brexit was all about. Remember, you always get what you put into. Think twice before you Brexit react. So far you got nothing from Brexit but ''S**t on a stick'' admit it. No means to disrespect your vote choice. I assume you voted leave. Live with the consequences. Don't fight us for seeing what's happening, speaking the truth. We live in a Brexit era now. Labor shortages, empty shelves in stores and migrant spouses applying for ILR. Keep voting Brexit!
The problem may be partly due to Brexit but mostly it was because of workers getting pinged and having to self isolate. I work in a supermarket and this had a huge impact on our supplies. It does seem to be improving though.

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep the banter light and posts professional peeps.

Supermarkets around here are for sure feeling it. Random shelf shortages but get stocked again pretty quick.

Builders merchants trying to hide empty shelves with tapes off corners of the store and then week later it's back as it was with stock in.

Seems a bit hit and miss.

Me and the daughter have been trying to count the trucks we usually see all the time like bread and milk and whatnot and don't see half as many. Live near an Eddie Stobarts depot and rarely see those now. Can see trailer parking along the A500 near large superstore distribution centres and they look full.

Got a funny feeling we will be seeing a lot of homes stocking up near Christmas. Panic buying which doubles the empty shelves lol

Here we go on the loo roll runs again!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hardibacker is hit and miss. Ctd ring me when they get some in and I'm straight there stocking up.

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hardibacker is hit and miss. Ctd ring me when they get some in and I'm straight there stocking up.
Maybe all need stock up a bit on things like that. And fixings and things that go along with it.

I think it'll get a lot worse before it gets better.

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
10% of U.K. lorry fleet stood down due to lack of drivers. Hanson cement drivers to vote on strike action over pay having rejected a reasonably generous offer. Concrete orders delayed and chaotic due to lack of drivers. It’s a nightmare. Add to that the spiralling costs of shipping into the UK from Europe and the Med and I reckon it’ll end in tears.

Reaction score
To be honest I've never experienced any shortages of adhesives, backer boards or any tile materials in general. Which has been fortunate. Know sheet timber prices are pretty high at the moment so won't be rushing to use OSB to cover baths and shower trays. 😅

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
The 45 square metre of tiles I had prepped everything for and were supposed to turn up today from Topps, didn't. No guarantee of when they will either. They cant get them into the country apparently (The Everscape outdoor 20mm pocleain 600 x 600's). Bit irritating, but the client understands. First major issue ive really had.

When the cement was all running out, I did buy a pallet of it. That also reduced the price to £9 a bag and I have plenty of storage space, so when I'm almost through this pallet, I'll be ordering another one regardless of shortages or not. Also, as I'm well booked up, I've started to contact the other jobs which are booked in to make sure they have their tiles ordered well in advance! Everything up until December already have their tiles. Just a shame these guys didnt have them delivered early and stored, but we didnt realise at the time that this situation would unfold.

Reaction score
CTD near me were out of Hardibacker so I tried the Bal board, preferred it for ease but don't know why it's only 600 wide. I guess maybe to keep the cost down and compete directly with Hardi. I think it's that much lighter to carry and quicker to cut and drill that I'd probably pay the difference if it was wider.

Anyway off point but these problems are quite obviously caused by Brexit and exacerbated by Covid. Didn't go down very well in CTD when I pointed that out and doubt it'll be a very popular opinion in the construction world.

Reply to Delays due to lack of lorry drivers causing any delays in your work? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock