Search the forum,

Discuss Damp - rented house - where do we stand in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
I'm living in woodford green on the outskirts on east london. Essex by post code. We are renting a one bed flat, quite nice considering the price of others in the area vs quality.
All has been well until the cold started setting in and we realise now there are no air bricks so to circulate the air we have no choice but to have the windows open and the heating on.
This is false Economy as you all know, my letting agent is sending out a contractor to asses the situation. What questions should I be asking ? Any advice ? It's condensation mould that is growing so no rising damp. The bed is always feeling damp when I get in on a nighttime and room musky.

cheers peeps

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If its condensation it's deffo a ventillation issue. What sort of heating do you have. If its gas or oil there is a very high degree of possibility that there should be a minimm level of ventillation to prevent issues with carbon monoxide build up. The landlord needs to deal with it quickly IMO.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
It's gas and we both agree its not cold enough yet to use the heating and there is defo not enough ventilation but its false economy to have windows open and heating on.

They recon a contractor will contact me but I need to know what to ask and such like as I have no experience nor Toni know what minimum levels of centilayion are. There's black mould growing on our brand new furniture in the bedroom.

D

Deleted member 9966

I'd start by checking info on Website of the UK government : Directgov you will get general info on there. If you don't think you're getting a good response from your landlord, contact your local council's environmental health department and inform them of your concerns.

A

Alan M

make sure the gas is venting (and is sealed properly) outside and that the make up are is coming from outside too.
if you are getting damp. damp is caused by warm moisture laiden air meeting a cold surface or air mass.
the only way to stop damp is to remove one or both of those.

1st find out where the moisture is coming from. maybe cooking (need extractor fan), cloths drier(vent outside) check leaks everywhere (you might not see it because the water is evaporated), it could be coming from showers in the bathroom(put in a good fan)
check seals around windows , check insulation levels, holes around pipes etc , check to see if the rads are not air locked or full of sludge.
if you are getting damp on the surfaces then the warm air is hitting cold surfaces. this will put mold on the walls etc. if you dont get that then the warm air is meeting a cold air mass in the room. then is probably insulation or air leeks.

drilling holes in the walls will help let the warm moisture laiden air out (but can cause problems aswell) . it will also let out heat (which will make the room colder and cause more damp if the warm air is meeting it).

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
system out there called envirovent that deals with ventilation issues we had issues with black mould in 3 rooms and this solved it may be worth alook for yourlandlord to install

E

enduro

I get it all the time in my rented places. Normally find its damp washing being hung on clothes dryer, or windows in bathroom never being opened..things like that. Had everything checked on my part with council, Damp companies etc everything fine and it was down to tenants. Ended up buying a couple of small dehumidfiers for the tenants and no more problems. A mate of mine has 50 places and this time of year he allways has problems with condensation.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. Turns out the guy who came to view the issue only had a license to paint on some damp resistant paint.

We are waiting on kenwoods to come and survey the riding damp. :)

Reply to Damp - rented house - where do we stand in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen