Search the forum,

Discuss Damp marks showing through tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Ann, whatever you decide, don't let the tiler grout until you are happy that the spots have disappeared completely.

Reaction score
Is that adhesive ready mixed or powdered? Not one I'm familiar with.

Powdered I guess. Larsen very common in Ireland. Some of its ok I suppose but not really an adhesive of choice. Cheap I gather with practically every hardware store and tile shop having stocked it at one time. Looks like a lot of work I come across. Well enough set out, spaced and levelled etc but what lies beneath is dubious. I could be wrong but it is fairly common. Old case of people think it looks great then it's well done. I wouldn't rule out the tiles but judging by the pattern of the shadows it's more than likely the adhesive.

Reaction score
Is it a slow-setting adhesive? or rapid?
either way it should be dry after 36hrs.
Is there any heating/decent room temperature, or is it a cold room, extension etc, where its a bit chilly and the adhesive is gonna take a long, long time - say, if its blobbed at 50mm thick, for sure.

A

AnnMcCarron

Powdered I guess. Larsen very common in Ireland. Some of its ok I suppose but not really an adhesive of choice. Cheap I gather with practically every hardware store and tile shop having stocked it at one time. Looks like a lot of work I come across. Well enough set out, spaced and levelled etc but what lies beneath is dubious. I could be wrong but it is fairly common. Old case of people think it looks great then it's well done. I wouldn't rule out the tiles but judging by the pattern of the shadows it's more than likely the adhesive.

so do you think it will dry out? The tiler says that he has seen this happen loads of times and it drys out in a week or so but that sounds crazy to me.

A

AnnMcCarron

Is it a slow-setting adhesive? or rapid?
either way it should be dry after 36hrs.
Is there any heating/decent room temperature, or is it a cold room, extension etc, where its a bit chilly and the adhesive is gonna take a long, long time - say, if its blobbed at 50mm thick, for sure.

Its the main upstairs bathroom in the house so shouldn't be too cold although there is currently no radiator in the room. Do you think it would help if we put some form of heating in the room to help dry it out?

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
? ! Personally the dot and dab method should never be used! We're your tiles expensive Its just that ceramic tiles have a product called (engobe) in them that stops water coming up through to the glaze surface, you see a lack of it sometimes on white tiles, like a darker clouding effect, specially when dot and dabbed using ready mixed adhesives, but you say he used powdered addy! I'd go back to your supplier and get them to have a look at it !

Reaction score
? ! Personally the dot and dab method should never be used! We're your tiles expensive Its just that ceramic tiles have a product called (engobe) in them that stops water coming up through to the glaze surface, you see a lack of it sometimes on white tiles, like a darker clouding effect, specially when dot and dabbed using ready mixed adhesives, but you say he used powdered addy! I'd go back to your supplier and get them to have a look at it !

A possibility indeed. From what the photo shows I reckon those are white backed rectified tiles(guess). More absorbent but as you say it's rare for that to show through a glaze. Some tiles are definately not the quality they used to be IMO. Fitting black polished porcelain a few weeks back and they were not completely polished to the edges plus they were so easily marked and scratched. Just an example. Maybe get a tile and lay it face down, wet the back or leave a couple damp cloths on it and check in the morning to see if it has stained or left the shadowing.

A

AnnMcCarron

I've spoken to the bathroom/tiler supplier and they have told us that this happens with these tiles and that it will dry out but regardless they said they will stand over the tiles and the work carried out by the tiler. So all good.

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've spoken to the bathroom/tiler supplier and they have told us that this happens with these tiles and that it will dry out but regardless they said they will stand over the tiles and the work carried out by the tiler. So all good.
At least you'll get your bathroom sorted at the end of it all no matter what happens! Good luck

Reply to Damp marks showing through tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen