Search the forum,

Discuss Damp behind tiles in shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

radi

Hi Folks

Wondering if you can help. Discovered several loose tiles first, second and third row up from shower tray and decided to whip them off the plasterboard wall.

I then found that the plasterboard is damp and there appears to be areas of black thereon. Now, a google search suggests that it maybe black mould which is not too healthy to mess about with.

I am hoping to replace the plasterboard with plasterboard as the whole shower suite will be coming out next year and and new one will be installed properly!!

I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you need to spray the area with bleach and water concentration to prevent the
spores from escaping in to the atmosphere?

2. If so, what is the ratio or is there something else I can use.

3. Do you need a respirator face mask to prevent inhalation of the spores?

4. If so what kind?

5. Is it okay to clean the affected tiles?

6. If so what with?

Thanks folks.

J

jay

Hi you may have to move your planned renovation forward as the problem you have can only be fixed by complete remove and refit

S

Scott

I would mask up for the removal as the spores are pretty nasty. But it will all need to come out and be reboarded. Tank it this time to prevent this happening again!

T

Time's Ran Out

And it may just be from the shampoo and soap that's got behind the tiles.
Find the cause of the loose tiles - cracked joints or leaking shower valve - cut out and replace the plasterboard and retile using a waterproof adhesive and water resistant grout and it may last you 12 months.

R

radi

Hi folks

Thanks for the replies and yes total removal is the ideal solution but not at this moment in time.

If i could just refer to the starting comment made by Timeless John (And it may just be from the shampoo and soap that's got behind the tiles.)

If it is caused by shampoo and soap, are you inferring that what appears to be the black mould etc is not actually black mould? Sorry for my ignorance.

T

Time's Ran Out

I just tile - but if the internet says it's a health hazard I'd get a spore sample, send it off to a lab to be tested, restrict access to the room and act accordingly.
Or you could just cut out the plasterboard, and dispose of at your local tip in the relevant skip marked - Plasterboard.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Customers not forking out for tanking need to read this. We see this quite often. And as tilers, we tend to find ost bathroom refits are the result of the tiling failing and water damaging the substrate. Often it appears as it's just the bottom rows of tiles but when we rip out we tend to find it spreads all over the place and can damage floors and ceilings in rooms underneath.

For the cost of about £50 and the tilers time applying it, you can save yourself a hell of a lot of money over time.

Don't dodge the tanking! It's a must!

Reply to Damp behind tiles in shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen