Search the forum,

Discuss council contract in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

buttsy

A builder i do some work for as the opportunity to tender for some plumbing and tiling work on hundreds of council properties in the midlands.
basic work doing wash basin splash backs and over the bath. Old tiles need removing and walls preparing but basically approx 1sq.m per property on renewal work. What would be the going rate per metre ive only done domestic work how does this sort of work compare. All plumbing maintenance will be done alongside the tiling work any info or links appreciated

P

P'boro tiler

£15m2 labour for the tiling usually for the council round here. i guess prep work should be estimated and charged at a day rate

C

cornish_crofter

It depends.

If they are plasterboard walls I would look at cutting out the plasterboard with the tiles on it and replacing with tileboard, cheaper and quicker than having to prep the existing if you ask me. You'd be looking at 2 pieces of tileboard per property mas, and CTD are doing a good deal on it at the moment.

Solid walls, different kettle of fish.

O

Olz

Have a search of the forum for councils, i've not done any council work myself, but the general concensus seems to be that they will want everything done as cheaply as possible, that said, regular work is regular work, though i think more details of the contract and it's terms should be sought before making a decision. I would be asking myself if i would be prepared to work for a low rate, but also asking myself can i afford to turn down a reglular income.

W

wetdec

In my experience local authorities pay when they feel like it as most work is attached to grants.

If you are cash rich then this doesnt become a problem, however if you tend to be dependent on constant return on work local authorities are not for you and will watch you go **** up.

I would advise anyone "unless you are in a good position leave authority work well alone"

Just a little advice............

B

buttsy

Yeah thanks for the replies and was thinking on the same lines regarding lower rates but regular work. Got enough on at the minute but who knows where things will end up. Also tendering for plumbing maintenance and renewal(bathrooms) so two would go hand in hand. The only concern i have is the vagueness of the job description and not charging the right amount to make a decent living but then again very early stages so will have to see what occurs thanks again

E

enduro

I have done council work...And its the worst job in the world...NEVER AGAIN thats all im saying!!!!

D

doit4u

I would want to know the likely programme of work. Are they going to be doing several houses in the smae street at the same time or is it going to be one by one, if so it could mean tying up a lot of days when you are only working for a few hours as I guess tey wouldn't stand for a day rate per property if the areas to be tiled are so small.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
It depends.

If they are plasterboard walls I would look at cutting out the plasterboard with the tiles on it and replacing with tileboard

Come on Cornish, it's for the Council. You wouldn't even have to prep the walls! :D

My mate moved into a council house about a year ago, and the tiles around the new boiler just fell off. The wall underneath was like an arial view of the Grand Canyon. They hadn't even attempted to fill it!?!

Reply to council contract in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen