Discuss Council bashing Day 1 in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

lukeb

Getting quiet for at the moment so took couple of 3 weeks of "high end":lol: work for local council.My first kitchen today OMG:mad2: What a poo!!!!!!
Pooooooooooooor prep ................ mean no prep:yikes: Thinking of taking shovel tomorrow instead of trowel.
Just wonder if any of you fellow tilers in the same boat atm.
Anyway next decent job in 3 weeks time in the mean time :incazzato::incazzato:at least will spend no more than 2o quid in diesel.

S

Stef

I had a council contract years ago, 500 houses to refit bathrooms & kitchens.

Walked off the job the 1st day, wasnt for me.

I take pride in my work so just couldnt tile to the shocking standards that the council wanted...

L

lukeb

Could live with it but on a day rate not on a price.
Today no time for coffe to earn half decent wage.:drool5:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Horrible work,did hundreds a few years ago,it's work, but its the bloody dole dossers, smack heads of general low life scum who sit there watching u work and prob have more spare cash that did my head, gets a bit depressing after a few hundred

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Getting quiet for at the moment so took couple of 3 weeks of "high end":lol: work for local council.My first kitchen today OMG:mad2: What a poo!!!!!!
Pooooooooooooor prep ................ mean no prep:yikes: Thinking of taking shovel tomorrow instead of trowel.
Just wonder if any of you fellow tilers in the same boat atm.
Anyway next decent job in 3 weeks time in the mean time :incazzato::incazzato:at least will spend no more than 2o quid in diesel.

been doing this type of work for 5 years the trick is nipping it in the bud straight away,tell them what you expect and if its not right refuse to do it,its that easy,
If you dont think you can do a decent job with what surface your given then dont do it they soon come round to your way of thinking.

L

lukeb

......the shocking standards that the council wanted...

I was told by project manager we expect high quality work combined with speed.
Apart from massive holes around the sockets,worktop running out by 6mm,window board sticking out 6mm on one side and 2mm on the other and couple of bonding doughnuts and old plaster falling of in places....nearly forgot wall units allover the place its high quality ready for poor tiler to brake wrist.

2 kids,wife and dog AND LONG LIST OF OTHER THINGS - SOMEONE HAS TO PAY FOR IT....:smilewinkgrin:(THAT WILL BE ME)...........

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
been doing this type of work for 5 years the trick is nipping it in the bud straight away,tell them what you expect and if its not right refuse to do it,its that easy,
If you dont think you can do a decent job with what surface your given then dont do it they soon come round to your way of thinking.

If they are like my council,he will be out of work in a flash if he says that.
Its all fine and dandy saying that but if they have not got the money to replaster to a nice flat lovely finish, they aint got it.
And if the lad needs work, he may as well bite the bullet, my kids come 1st then beer then wife

Reaction score
I've done it, everyone on here has.
I'm not the best at it - 'cos I find it tricky to polish a turd sometimes.

But the social/council jobs do make you a better tiler.
If its only for 3 weeks, enjoy it.

Last edited:
L

lukeb

DAY 2
Thinking of getting a gun and execute plasterer who is preparing:yikes: the walls.
Old plaster spot on and level where they made good they made it 10000000000 times worst.I can understand that everyone on bottom dollar(with council)but please why not put little more effort to next tradesman life easier.
Never mind electrician breaking tiles around the socket.

Trying to do a decent work out of it ................MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.......

At least worktop was bang on and units nice and level so credit to kitchen fitter....:hurray:

:chillpill: I guess......

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It's crap mate,we did our own plastering so not to bad,but the old walls were terrible,don't think they ever heard of a straight edge in the 60s around my way :(
Just turn the radio up and sing,it passers the day away

L

lukeb

My money is on you walking by end of week 2 :thumbsup:

Done it 3 times over the years longest i last was 4 months only because it was a day rate so did not care if i spent day or 4 on one..........
On the price different story .....its mad......no drink(sorry had 2 red bulls today) and first meal after 5.....gutts in pain and headache after 12a.m.

so you probably right mate..:smilewinkgrin:

L

lukeb

It's crap mate,we did our own plastering so not to bad,but the old walls were terrible,don't think they ever heard of a straight edge in the 60s around my way :(
Just turn the radio up and sing,it passers the day away

NO RADIOS ALLOWED......................:mad2:

........YOU KNOW WHAT..............SOD THAT BETTER CHARGE THE BATTERIES.....

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That is one thing i have to have, even if i take a ipod.
They did say to me when i did them years age that 'the tenants don't like it' so i just asked them and they all said yes (as long as i don't sing ;) )

Reply to Council bashing Day 1 in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks