Discuss Clarification on expansion joint on opus floor in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

DavieA

TF
Reaction score
Im in need of some advice as this will be my largest job. Its 45m2 of travertine in opus lay over 3 rooms and am looking for the best method of inserting expansion joints as I tae it a floor that size will require them wheither it be an expansion joint which will be straight and break up pattern or a silicone joint. Either way ive used neither and would appreciate any comments.

Cheers Guys

I

Ian

Will the skirting boards be off? Also what is the square meterage of each of the 3 areas?

DavieA

TF
Reaction score
floor.jpg

Thanks for replies, plans not the best but hopefully help,
sub is ply with dural ci+ membrane.
Wet UFH
skirtings will be off
43m2 total but unsure of individual room sizes if i was to guess id say kitchen 16m2,hall 15m2, dining 12m2.

I

Ian

If you are using dural and can leave a 10mm gap around the perimeter that will be covered with skirting then I personally wouldn't put an expansion joint in. One thing to make sure of is that door frames and architraves aren't fitted tightly over the floor as this is one place stress cracks could appear, especially on a wooden subfloor.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
If it was my job I would try and set out so that I had a oint across the door ways, this would be an expansion, with the skirting boards off you can leave 10mm around the walls, this would be expansion, that's me, others may differ.

DavieA

TF
Reaction score
I will leave 10mm around perimeter for sure but wasnt sure if a strip or cold joint was required. facings will be off but any recommendations how to finish around door posts or itchen cabnets?

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
The joint is down to you and the customer to decide on imo, as for door architrave, cut them so that the tile goes under, same for door stops, easier and better finish, kitchen units, apart from end of unit blanks, take off the kick plate and tile to the legs, kick plates can be adjusted by a joiner if needed.

DavieA

TF
Reaction score
floor.jpg

Red 10mm expansion

Alan could you clarify what you mean by "set out so that I had a joint across the door ways" do you mean an expansion joint or just tile joint?

Would you be better to leave a 10mm gap around door post also and silicone finish?

Cheers

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

DavieA

TF
Reaction score
Ok, after removal of skirting, facings and stops leave a 10mm gap around perimeter and at door posts and end panels in kitchen leave a 2-3mm gap and fill with silicone. Is that correct?

DavieA

TF
Reaction score
Update -- customer no longer wants to pay for or have a decoupler installed. I've advised it would be of benefit. They have said they understand pros and cons but aren't willing to pay for it. Since its not mandatory on timber floors unlike screeds I'm going to continue with job.

Reply to Clarification on expansion joint on opus floor in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks