Currently reading:
Cement tiles on walls

Discuss Cement tiles on walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

H

hipposgobeserk

Hi everyone
I have purchased just over 2 square metres of 18mm thick encaustic cement tiles to use as a kitchen splashback in several different areas.

As far as I can see I am yet to find a tile edger that is thick enough to hide the edge (which is rough) of the tiles +adhesive. Photos I've seen online etc conveniently tile up to the bottom cabinets etc bypassing the need, but ours will have quite a lot of raw edges.

Anyone have any advice on what to use? Also as a complete Newby, would it be less hassle to hire a professional tiler and if so how long roughly for? We're on a budget but already looking at £60+ to hire a diamond blade cutting machine.

Thanks in advance

B

Bill

Thanks in advance
Sand the edges down with 80 grit then something smoother and you will be OK - just embrace the encaustic look - many 'designers' don't give a hoot about the finish as they want to see the whole 'picture' and this includes what the encaustics are........ rough & ready but a fantastic contrast to plain walls/units.

Somerset
This tiles are generally intended to be laid rough. The tiles are likely to be hand made, with differing thickness and slight variations in size. Some designers suggest installation without any grout gaps. You can cut them with a good quality manual cutter, but the edges will be very rough, and may need grinding to become flat using either an angle grinder or a wet cut table cutter. A decent diamond blade is essential.

The surface will stain very easily if not sealed. Litho fin is an excellent sealer.

Reply to Cement tiles on walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement