Search the forum,

Discuss Buying British in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

How many of us put any thought into the things we buy?
Do you buy British at all costs ?
Do you see if the item you are buying has a British equivalent.
Is it purely down to cost ?
How do you feel about supporting British industries?
Where do you stand on this subject and how far would you go to put your money back in British pockets.

D

DHTiling

I buy what works for me and do not take into account where it is made.

Price is an issue as well , if you look at most products made in Britain , then the prices can be silly high .

Made in Britain used to mean something but not anymore , take British tiles for instance , some of the worst quality controlled tiles i have ever worked with.

So again to answer , No i do not go out my way to buy British.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
The trouble is a lot of stuff is hard to trace , and how do you define British for instance?

In our line of work for example I can't think of a decent tool for tiling that is British off the top of my head.
Food is generally rather more expensive if it is british also.

Having said that I do try sometimes to buy locally , for instance I recently bought a new graphics card from the local pooter shop in town rather over the internet to support local business. It cost me more but sometomes I think it has to be done.
After all , imho , repealing of the Glass/Seagal act , Globalisation , cheap imported Chinese tat , cheap debt and a corrupt political elite has given us the mess we're now in . But thats for another topic :lol:

So in answer to the OP , I take into account ( but don't always apply ) many different metrics such as price , location , origin , production facilities and wether or not it's French :0).

Cheers

Diggy

W

White Room

As above, I tend to think of German tools as one of the better buys even though they maybe a bit dearer there built to last.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I do when it comes to food. Local butcher and fruit and veg. If it's supermarket purchases i check the bags and packaging. Living in East Anglia we have the best land for growing pots and the weather to boot. My roasties on Sunday are not starting out in Argentina.

R

Rookery

I would prefer to buy British manufactured/produced products and even pay a premium but sadly between them, the politicians, management and trade unions managed to screw up British industry so there is very little left. Its not just us though, I've got some electrical equipment sold & packaged under a highly regarded German brand name and even that is made in China. You just dont know these days. Even the beef we're eating is dodgy.

J

Jeff the tiler

Add sustainable and green products to "buying british" and it is all a complete nightmare. for me it's a needs must basis so loyalty to british products is quite low on the agenda which is a shame.

A

Aston

why has british standards slowly gone down hill...it has to be a mindset? not everybodies but perhaps a majority.

reason i say that is, japan and germany lose a world war but still maintain very high standards regarding build quality, engineering and technology....

japan have been through a massive recession (still technically in it ie the 90's housing crash) germany have merged east with west and still pushed on, so why has britian gone down hill....i personally reckon its a psychology ..when the tories striped us clean in the early 80's it left us with a better economy but a weaker workforce and the standard of the workforce results in the standard of the products and the standard of the future workers

so, the answer is in the past...do what did and the future will be brighter...invest in the uk, invest in your own ideas, invest or, well we have that answer already don't we. save a penny or invest in the uk.....the only way to get the wheels working is to put oil in the engine, even if it costs more today, it will be more economical in the future..

Last edited by a moderator:

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Does Britain actually make stuff.......so many have gone down the pan, or worse, Sold out.

Reply to Buying British in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen